Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Mary Hurst's Speciality Stitches - The Faggot Stitch



Over the next week or so I thought that it would be interesting to have a look at the speciality stitches required for Mary Hurst.

The first one is Faggot stitch which is needed in the whitework section at the start of the sampler.

My first place of reference after the chart instructions is normally Mary Corbett's site but this stitch does not appear in her directory and neither did the four sided stitch which is similar.

Now I am a self taught stitcher, never having had the chance for workshops and classes so never worry about correcting anything I have wrong. I want to learn.

To me the faggot stitch and four sided stitch appear to achieve not identical but similar results. The stitch path is not the same, therefore, the tension or pull is applied differently.

Faggot Stitch


Four Sided Stitch



My photo shows the faggot stitch first worked horizontally then diagonally followed by the four sided stitch. Mary requires the faggot stitch to be worked in both these directions.



I thought the four sided stitch is neater. What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

ce8d632a-647c-11e3-94d3-000bcdcb2996 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Great idea--Darlene O'Steen published a book called The Proper Stitch which has great illustrations on stitches

Lydia Stevenson said...

Thanks for the tutorial. The photographs are perfect.

Kim said...

I like this idea, Nicola! I agree. I think I prefer the four sided stitch! Looks lovely!

zenuwpees said...

Beautiful thanks for the explications Marie-Claire