Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Friday, 14 November 2014

Mary Hurst, Speciality Stitches - EYELET


The fifth stitch needed for Mary Hurst is EYELET and Mary has used this stitch to create a beautiful effect on the bodices of the princess and queen - my thanks again to Bethany Gallant for allowing m to use photos of her Mary Hurst.

There are various shapes that can be created with an eyelet stitch but for Mary we will be making a square with eight spokes.



 I have shown the eight stages of the stitch working from left to right. Tension is applied on the central hole to create a lacey effect.



When moving from eyelet to eyelet take care not to run the thread under the back of the central hole. The lacey effect on the left eyelet has been spoilt by the thread being carried across the hole. See how much prettier the right eyelet is.

I hope that you are having fun with your doodle clothes - practice makes perfect. Any queries please message/email me or leave a comment and I will do my best to help and if I cannot we have some great stitchers who can.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

For those not on facebook. When doing the eyelet stitch, in the future, if you have a run of stitches, this is something I found to help. If your run of stitches are going across the linen, do the top of each stitch and then come back and do each bottom. Also, a run going vertical, do the left or right side of each stitch and then come back the other side of each stitch.

Patricia said...

Thank you Nicola and Bethany for your information. Ahhh you are both so kind.

Jenny said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the "how-to's" of these speciality stitches. I really appreciate all the help....some I have done but others are new to me, so I love all the advice.

zenuwpees said...

Thank you for the good information hugs Marie-Claire