Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Wednesday, 17 September 2014

A New Beginning - A Post on behalf of Marsha Parker of The Scarlet Letter




Having just finished up the graphs for Eleanor Parr and the Angels Mourning, I've just unwrapped an unusual Scottish sampler from its glass and wooden shroud to begin charting it.  




Here are photos taken of the front and back of the sampler, and a detail of the front and the back of the mansion house in the lower right corner.  



The lawn in front has been executed in turkey work which looks like plain back stitch in green on the back, but on the front where it has faded and the threads have been cut to achieve the bushy appearance it has faded to pale gold.  



This demonstrates the importance of seeing the color on the back side of the original antique sampler in order to achieve a proper balance of color in the reproduction.

11 comments:

robindefender said...

I love Scottish samplers! And this one is really lovely. I am always amazed when I can see the back of a sampler and there is such a difference in colors. If only we could really see these things as they were once colored!

Kevin said...

Gorgeous! Thank you for working on charting these works of beauty for all of us to someday stitch! I absolutely love Eleanor Parr.

Vera said...

Oh my, this is so beautiful. Love ALL the birds, characters and motifs in this. That snake, though, appears to be awfully large in comparison to everything else - lol (y'all know I am NOT a snake person, but love A&E samplers).

Inguna said...

This is a wonderful sampler! Love to see close-ups and the back side of the sampler.

Margaret said...

What a beautiful sampler! Love seeing the back as well as the front. Looking forward to this one!

sallyfr said...

Another drool making piece.

Now I know how my cats feel when faced with their favourite meals.

Seriously, I cannot wait for this one to be available in graph form, the colors on the reverse are just wonderful.

Jenny said...

Another beautiful sampler Marsha!

Winderwoodfarm said...

I cannot wait to get my hands on this! I hope when charted directions are given for the lawn to be "clipped" I would have never thought of this....

siamkitty said...

Sometimes I prefer the faded colors of the sampler to the original colors the sampler was stitched in, that ick green grass is definitely ick green! VBG! Love this sampler! But waiting to see more double running stitch band samplers.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Fabulous Scottish sampler.

ilana kaye said...

It is a must have!!!