Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Thursday, 19 June 2014

Hornbook Bestiary...DONE!

Started:  12/25/12
Finished:  6/18/14
Linen:  35 ct. as kitted
Floss:  AVAS silks as kitted

I am pleased to finally report I've finished the Hornbook Bestiary!  The kit was a gift from my honey on Christmas day 2012.  It has taken me almost a year and a half to stitch all those tent stitches over one but now she's done.

I was inspired by Marsha's gift to Nicola so I decided to do my signature in the same manner.  I wanted it to complement the rest of the sampler.  I think it does and I'm pleased with the result.  For privacy's sake, I've blocked out my last name, city and state.  The dates represent the years I stitched it.

Just for curiosity, I counted up all the stitches.  In the angel, there are 7,633 stitches, in the charted squares, not counting my signature, there are 75,825 and my signature added an additional 4,725 for a grand total of 88,183 stitches!

I plan to search for a frame that looks like an actual hornbook with the handle.  A regular rectangular frame just won't do for a piece this special.  It may take me a while to locate it but I'm willing to spend some time hunting for just the right one.

I also want to note that I had plenty of floss to see me to the end and still stitch my signature. Marsha was quite generous with the contents of this kit. Thank you so much, Marsha!

Thank you also to Nicola and Jo for inviting me along on this grand adventure.  I've enjoyed the journey.  Seeing all the lovely samplers our group has stitched together has inspired me.

Thank you to everyone who has cheered me to this finish. You all kept me motivated. I truly appreciate each and every email, comment and encouragement I received. I'm so pleased to be able to share this milestone finish with you today!

With gratitude,

The Inspired Stitcher

P.S. If you want to read about the whole finishing experience, please visit my blog.

26 comments:

The Inspired Stitcher said...

!!!

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful finish - you must be so thrilled. Looking forward to seeing what frame you choose.

Theresa said...

This is beautiful, and how good it must feel to be finished! Congratulations!

Laura said...

Beautiful!!!
Congratulations!

Reconstructed Fabulousness said...

Looks fabulous. Have really enjoyed viewing all your posts and look forward to seeing the final mounting choice. I am in awe of those who can tackle so much over one.Rae.

PamC said...

You've outdone yourself Miss Lisa

Bring to Tiara

Margaret said...

Fantastic, Lisa! I assume you used the fabric from the kit too? It's gorgeous -- love the personalization! And guess what? I've started mine now, thanks to you! lol!

Jenny said...

Congratulations on an absolutely incredible, stunning and beautiful finish! I am happy dancing along with you....What a remarkable achievement!

Debbie Bauer said...

Beautiful!! Stitched over one is truly an accomplishment!

Carmen Sutton said...

Awesome

Krista said...

What a fantastic finish!! and amazing achievement! I have enjoyed watching your journey on this sampler. I look forward to seeing the frame/hornbook you find to display it. I hope you find the perfect one and share your framed finish with us.

Cindy L said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finish! I have enjoyed watching your progress along the way.

Vera said...

So beautiful Lisa. Again, congratulations!

Erica near Chicago said...

Absolutely marvelous! Congratulations!! A piece this special does deserve a special frame. Good luck with the hunt. I've enjoyed your posts and progress photos.

Bethany said...

Congratulations.... I can't believe the number of stitches. Isn't it amazing what we do for the love of stitching and seeing the finish piece before our eye's. What a great accomplishment. So, what is next? Loved your finishing.

DawnM said...

Congratulations!!!! This is such a beautiful piece and I have enjoyed watching your progress. Please post a picture once you find the appropriate hornbook for it. I think it will be stunning.

zenuwpees said...

Magnifique broderie curieuse de voire la finition Marie-Claire

Nicola said...

This is a truly amazing accomplishment and I feel so blessed to have been able to follow your journey. THANK YOU!!!

I totally agree that you should take your time finding the perfect frame. You need to find a woodcarver to make a bespoke one.

Ann said...

WOW--simply WOW!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Aw, it's finished!! It looks amazing. I love the idea of keeping the end block and adding your signature along the bottom. It looks perfect, like it was charted that way.

Looking forward to seeing the framed piece now.

Heritage Hall said...

Whew ~ you're good! What a magnificent finish...now on to the frame...hope you might find an artisan who will make you one
to perfectly suit your wondrous
work. Congratulations...you are an inspiration.
Gentility

Lisa said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish!
I can't wait to see it framed! I have been wanting to stitch this for a long time, but I haven't started it yet....and it may be awhile before I actually do get started. This was definitely the "inspiration" I needed!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Thank you everyone! It has been so fun to have you all celebrating this finish with me. I'm glad to know I've even inspired a few of you too. I'll look forward to watching yours grow now!

Scarlet Letter said...

Oops! I left my message in the previous post, but I hope it will inspire all stitchers. Inch by inch, row by row, outline the main motifs and the squares, then fill in with tent stitch.

ali said...

Find Best Online Home based Jobs
www.jobzcorner.com

hassan mouse said...

Find best Online Jobs on Facebook...
JobzCorner