Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Friday, 9 May 2014

Two Samplers and a Spool Caddy

Well I expect you can tell I was stuck for a title !!!



My adaptation of EK 1653 is back from the framers and now called Three Sisters.

A sampler always looks so much nicer when stretched and framed. I fall in love with them all over again.


The Postman has just been and brought goodies.


I like to collect stitching accessories and this reproduction spool caddy is from Richard Heyers 

http://www.hyerswood.com/categories.php (you will need to copy and paste as I cannot get a link to work from my ipad) (amended by Jo!)

I was so lucky to receive the first one made in this design.


My old one has had so much use and as I stitch in various places it will not hurt to have two (or so I tell Ray)

The Postman also brought the linen and thread to start my WI project so Ruthy is going away for a fortnight while I stitch this.


So I will leave Ruthy at this point.


The third bird is stitched


and Ruthy's skirt. I substituted satin stitch for stem on her sash. If you look closely at the main photo you will see that I have stitched two rows of the specified dark green to the immediate right of the tree. I have decided to switch this out and stitch all the grass in the lighter green seen in the bottom left hand corner.

It is going to be hard to resist Ruthy but I want to get the other project finished. I always feel lots of pressure when stitching for someone else.

15 comments:

Debbie Bauer said...

All I can say is WOW! Nicola your Three Sisters is so...beautiful. Will have to hop over and take a look at lthe spool holders. They are amazing. Keep us posted on your progress with the WI project. Ruthy is progressing very nicely. Your stitching is perfect. Blue and Poppy are so adorable. I didn't realize they are so big!

Krista said...

Such an amazing finish on EK! So nice to see Poppy and Blue. I love your Ruthy, what stitch did you use for her skirt? All the texture in this one is amazing. That hardanger piece is beautiful.

Vera said...

Gorgeous Nicola! I am always so amazed at how rapidly you complete samplers. Ruthy is coming along so beautifully. Blue and Poppy look great. Once home I will "need" to look at a spool caddy -- love yours. The Hardanger piece is amazing as well.

Bhooma said...

Wow !! Your Ruthy is gorgeous. I am resisting the temptation to give in and order her. I have too many things going on right now and I have no way of finishing even half of what I have now.

Your spool caddy is adorable. One might sneak into my house one of these days :)

Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

Jenny said...

Three Sisters is absolutely stunning Nicola! Ruthy is wonderful as well...your stitches are beautiful! Great job! Poppy and Blue look so happy to be in the sunshine....I bet they are just as happy to have Spring here! Enjoy your Hardanger stitching! Love the spool caddy....one can never have too many stitching acceseries :)

Rowyn said...

Ruthy is coming along well.

I do love your Three Sisters piece, and your models are doing a great job! Looks like you have some nice sunny weather there too.

zenuwpees said...

Broderies et hardanger sont très beau Marie-Claire

Lanie said...

Oh my, Nicola ... everything about this post is beautiful! 'Three Sisters' framing is perfect. The Hardanger piece is gorgeous. I took a class many years ago and would love to stitch on a piece again one day ... yikes, I've got to work on extending my lifetime ;)
And 'Ruthy' continues to make me happy ... she is one of my favorites!

Margaret said...

Your framed sampler is gorgeous! Love how Ruthy looks too. Your new project is going to be amazing, I can tell. You are an enabler. I love your new pincushion caddy! I have one like your first one, but not that new one. Sigh. I love it! Perhaps I will need to ask for a birthday present. lol!

Chris said...

That sampler looks amazing in it's frame! So perfect.
Ruthy is absolutely gorgeous.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Bethany said...

You are an inspiration to all of us. Keep up all the wonderful stitching, so we all can enjoy. You really picked up on the stem stitch, everything is perfect and the flow of your stitches is amazing. Don't you just love your babies, real ham's I must say.

Elizabeth said...

Nicola - you have just surpassed yourself. Three sisters is beautiful. Give Poppy and Blue a big hug from me!

Anne said...

Gorgeous frame for Three Sisters! I agree, a stretched and framed sampler makes me fall in love again!! Love the sewing caddies. I have never had one or seen one until now. I think they look very useful! Ruthy is amazing! All those stem stitches make this sampler look like it was painted with a brush. Such bright and fun colours in this sampler!

Erica near Chicago said...

Oh Nicola. I don't know how you manage to do all that you do. The stem stitches are perfect. Enjoy the new spool caddy.

Cindy L said...

Nicola, such stunning pieces. I am also amazed at how quickly you stitch these gorgeous pieces.