Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Monday, 31 March 2014

Some interesting information on SDW

Stitched by Margaret - Days of A Sampler Lover

Many of you will recognize this distinctive motif from SDW. There are a lot of stitches in this one so I will never forget it !!!

Marsha has received some interesting information from Anka Meyer who grew up in Dresden (Saxony) the area where Marsha believed the sampler came from. Anka's view from her window was across the river Elbe to the view of this Church named "Maria on the Water".






Thank you Anka for sharing the photographs and this information with us. 

Idyllically situated near the River Elbe in the centre of town, Maria am Wasser ('Mary on the water') was built in 1479 for the boatmen who wanted to pray before and after their voyages. Many architectural changes were made to the church over the centuries, although baroque features still dominate heavily. Kirche 'Maria am Wasser' is surrounded by a cemetery (the final resting place of many famous names) and a high wall which was designed to protect the church from floods.

SDW is a particular favourite of mine and this information makes it all the more special now the church has a name.





8 comments:

Krista said...

So very amazing!! Thank you Anka for sharing!

Margaret said...

So so cool! Thanks so much to Anka for that information and the pics!

Debbie Bauer said...

Thank you Anka for the information! I plan to stitch SDW by the fall. Both mine and my husbands families are German. My sister-in-law visited there a couple years back and has so many church pictures. I need to go through them and see if this is possibly one.

Jenny said...

How exciting! This was the motif that first drew me to SDW. I absolutely fell in love with this church and to think it now has a name! Mine is in my stitching basket waiting patiently for me to finish Margaret Randolph. Once she is finished my journey begins...I can hardly wait. Thank you for sharing these pictures.

Erica near Chicago said...

The church is quite striking. How interesting to see the photos. Thank you for sharing.

Cindy L said...

How interesting! I do enjoy the background information on the reproduction samplers.

Michele said...

Was so interested to read this. I love SDW and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I'm Anka from Dresden - not much of a Blogger but I truly appreciate sharing this with all. I too have the sampler in my stash and plan on stitching it hopefully this year (2016) finally. This is my time to THANK all and any designer of Needlework, the many great Ladies and Gent's that keep this wonderful tradition alive and provide us with hours of creative fun! Thanks to all, who enjoy this amazing hobby as much as I do - I'm truly honored to have found so many friends through needlework <3

Anka