Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Sunday, 9 February 2014

Ellenor Wykcs and EK 1653


Band 1 of EK is complete and I have already started my personalisation with a verse of Three Sisters. I plan to stitch a verse between each band plus three others sentiments.

I have used this poem before on a quilt and it is one that means alot to me. The last twelve months have been a difficult one for one of my sisters and has reinforced the bond between us three sisters. I felt the need to use it again re-iterating the message.

The first little motif of the second band should of been stitched in the darker blue but as I have used that colour in the verse I am experimenting with the lighter blue. I may change this.

The darker blue should be AVAS 1715 but I found that both the skeins I had shed fluff over my work as I stitched so I changed it for 1716. I have found that problem with a colour of AVAS before - have you ever experienced that problem?


Ellenor is progressing and having both samplers side by side works so well. Thank you Nupur for the idea.



11 comments:

MarchAnn said...

It looks great and you are doing a wonderful job. I will have to find that poem too, I am one of three sisters.

donnacrafts said...

Perfect start. Just love your poem about 3 sisters. I am one of 3 sisters too!! Thanks for posting your progress, it really makes me happy. I will post very soon. I have a new SL start too. Enjoy!!

Scarlet Letter said...

Where did the fuzzy silk come from, Nicola? BTW, I am one of three sisters as well. Mine are much older and we don't have much in common.

Jenny said...

Such wonderful starts on these two beautiful samplers. I love watching you personalize your samplers...each one is so very special.

Dianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianne said...

Lovely work, Nicola. I haven't had that problem with any AVAS colours, but I'll pay attention on my Janet Burnet sampler that uses more of them. I'm the oldest of three sisters - love the poem (a new one to me), and I'll have to see how I could use it - thanks for featuring it. I've thought of you on the coast - hope that you're staying safe with the storms.

Bethany said...

Love how you personalize your samplers.
Fuzz, yes usually with blacks and dark greens. I sit with my tweezers and pick away....

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Lovely starts.
I have 3 sisters and I am the only one that works a threaded needle.

I have had problems with all types of silks and as Bethany states, blacks and greens can be worse. I once thought it had to do nap, but sometimes you just get a bad skein of silk.

Martha S said...

Beautiful work, Nicola. I too have had problems with avas silks. I think they are not the quality they use to be.

Vera said...

So beautiful Nicola...your work is just amazing. Love that poem...I need to find it. I have only brothers as blood siblings, but my best friend (for almost 50 years now) is one of 3 girls and they adopted me as another sister!!

Cindy L said...

Nicola, at first I didn't remember a sampler with that verse and than read on, it was part of your amazing personalization's. Both samplers are looking beautiful...such a fast stitcher.