Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Sunday, 12 January 2014

Learning a lesson

Great intentions to really get moving along with Janet Burnet in the new year, after finishing up several projects that had to be done by Christmas.  OK, that's understandable, right?  And I have on hand the chart booklet for the stunning Janet Burnet 1730 sampler from The Scarlet Letter.  And the gorgeous AVAS silks.  And fabric that I'd selected, a 35 count Lambswool.  And started stitching ..... Even before I put a needle through the fabric, I had some doubts as to whether that particular piece of fabric was the best choice  - the colour seemed fine, but the weave had a few irregularities.that I hadn't noticed at first - not a problem for small projects, but I was uneasy about it for such a special sampler.    But no matter, for an antique sampler, irregularities are acceptable, right?   I started to stitch, deciding to do the outer border first - the first half of about one hundred stitches, trying to convince myself all the time that the fabric would be just fine.  And now, after putting it aside for a few more days, it's obvious - even if the fabric does turn out to be all right when the stitching's finished, I know that I'd spend weeks as I stitch wondering whether I'd done the right thing and not loving it whole-heartedly.  So later this week, I'll be choosing some new fabric and starting over.  So please forgive the photo showing such little progress - I'm learning that I need to pay attention to any initial hesitations.  For what it's worth, here's what I did, along with the silks and the pattern cover. 
So please assure me that I'm not alone in this type of decision - anyone else had a similar experience? 

10 comments:

Carmen Sutton said...

Good to listen as you would hate every stitch you put in or that you disliked it so much that you never finish. Stitching should be a pleasure. Good luck with new fabric choice

Krista said...

You are definitely making the right decision. If you are not happy with the fabric now the journey will be miserable! I had to do the same with my 35 ct lambswool. Not sure if you are using the exact same I was, but I found it hard to get the needle thru and as the sampler I was working on was SDW, super long, I knew I would not be happy. I so dreaded it but it was the best decision for me. I hope you find fabric you like and have a happy journey with Janet Carsels!

Jenny said...

I too have had to start over when I wasn't happy with my linen choice. I did the same thing you did and tried to convince myself it was okay and I would get used to it...and then I got to an over one part....well lets just say I changed the linen, started over and loved it :) Janet is such a beautiful sampler...I hope you have a good stitching experience with another linen choice.

Cindy L said...

Diane, it is best to decide now that the fabric won't work for you before you get to far along. I've had to change fabric especially when it comes in a kit(the designer's choice) but did not work for me. You want to enjoy stitching your sampler.

Lanie said...

Definitely must listen to the 'little voices' ... have made some mistakes when I try to talk myself into projects. Always best to be perfectly happy with your stitching.
Looking forward to following along with your 'Janet' :)

donnacrafts said...

Agreed with the above comments. I am working on a 40 ct uneven weave linen now and it is just ok. I had the linen for a very long time and just needed to use it. I know how you feel. Enjoy..

Brenda said...

Yes.....I've been in the same situation. I have learned that if I feel like my gut is telling me something that I need to listen better. But that is just me.

I hope you find the right fabric to restart it on. Please keep us updated with your progress!!!

Bethany said...

I had this problem with Rising Doves and the linen choice. I had a pair of tweezer's in hand for every stitch. I thought the sampler was going to look terrible with fuzzy's all over it. My mother said, if I continued to pick, I would never finish it. So, I tried to put down the tweezer's, this only lasted a short time. Now that she is finished and hanging on the wall, I think back and wonder what was all the fuss about??? I totally understand and wish you luck in your new linen choice.

Nicola said...

I think that it would be sensible to restart on a linen you are more comfortable with. I stitched Grazing Sheep on a linen I was not happy with and I kicked myself every stitching session, it spoilt my love of the chart.

Dianne said...

Thanks, everyone, for all of your positive and encouraging comments. I've changed to Lakeside's Vintage Light Exemplar and will be re-starting soon (several urgent family matters have been taking up my stitching time - and energy!). I'm looking forward to this next Scarlet Letter year :)