Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Saturday, 28 December 2013



What a wonderful coincidence!  The first photo shows the parrot on the 1704 German sampler that I am currently charting, the second photo shows a similar parrot on a German sampler of 1734 that I just bought at auction.  The third photo shows some text on this sampler and I will need my German friends to help me interpret this.  There are other names and phrases scattered about this sampler that I would be grateful for assistance in interpreting.

Turning the Vinciolo birds rightside up on Ann Lawle is definitely the way to go, but you understand that I had to follow the original.  Elizabeth Harborne's signature need not be upside down for that matter.

5 comments:

Michal Woodruff said...

I have German speakers in my family. Would you like me to ask? Very pretty. Love the muted colors. Happy New Year.

Theresa Born said...

I downloaded a free sample of "Traditional Sampler Verses and Symbolism" by Leslie Wilkins offered on Amazon...
in that it says parrots symbolize 'gossip and talkativeness'!
(btw, there is a photo of Jane Atkinson, and one of Mary Anne Hutton, in that magazine).
Can't wait to see this sampler reproduction!

Kevin said...

Love these parrots and cannot wait to add this to my collection of sampler reproductions!!

I have a friend from Germany who speaks fluent German. If you'd like her to transpose the text, she is an avid stitcher and lover of samplers and I know she'd be thrilled to help you decipher the text on your German samplers. Let me know and I'll share her contact info with you.

Heike said...

I'm german and would be happy to help you. I was born in Dresden and yes I'm stiching your SDW sampler.
Heike

Cindy L said...

Marsha, these samplers look very interesting!