I've decided that Ann Lawle will be my 2014 Scarlet Letter sampler.
Last night, I started on the framework for the cutwork at the top of the sampler:
I'm going to wait until I've finished the rest of the sampler before I cut the threads and fill in the design that goes here. I've found that cutting threads out can make the rest of the linen wobbly (technical term) and I like to stitch with my linen fairly tight on the frame. I've also decided that I'm going to stitch the birds that fit in this band right side up instead of wrong side up. It may not be historically accurate, but I don't live in a house historically accurate to the 17th century either!
The plan is to work a band a month, which means I should have the sampler finished long before the end of the year.