Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Friday, 27 December 2013

Ann Lawle

I've decided that Ann Lawle will be my 2014 Scarlet Letter sampler.

Last night, I started on the framework for the cutwork at the top of the sampler:


I'm going to wait until I've finished the rest of the sampler before I cut the threads and fill in the design that goes here. I've found that cutting threads out can make the rest of the linen wobbly (technical term) and I like to stitch with my linen fairly tight on the frame. I've also decided that I'm going to stitch the birds that fit in this band right side up instead of wrong side up. It may not be historically accurate, but I don't live in a house historically accurate to the 17th century either!

The plan is to work a band a month, which means I should have the sampler finished long before the end of the year.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

This sampler is such a beautiful one. I will enjoy seeing your progress. I love the look of cut work but have never had the nerve to do it myself...I think I should try something small first :) Happy New Year!

Nicola said...

Ann I am so pleased you have chosen this sampler. I have her all kitted up so will look forward to your posts.

I would stitch the bird the right way up too.

Vera said...

Beautiful choice! Can't wait to see progress pictures.

Bethany said...

This is going to be fun to watch. Lovely choice....

Michele said...

Good move. I am going to do the same with the white work birds at the top of Mary Hurst.

Maria del Valle said...

Love this sampler!
I'll enjoy a lot seeing your progress
Happy new Year!

Maria del Valle