Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Friday, 27 December 2013

A finish and a new start

(f you click the photo it should be clearer)


I am afraid that I could not bond with Elizabeth Simon. I had too many other gift projects which had to be finished for Christmas. For me - I build up a relationship with my samplers as I stitch them, I think that is why I have withdrawal pangs when I complete them.

I adored the satin stitched flower border which was what attracted me to her so I unpicked the two outer borders which I had stitched across the top row and added a favourite poem. I finished this on our wedding anniversary - funny how it coincided.

I know that I have not done this beautiful chart justice but at least it can be framed and enjoyed. I am going to have a double mount just touching the outer stitches which should give it more impact. It looks a little lost at the moment. I will post a photo when it is framed.




I have started Rachel Jarratt. After seeing Kate's progress with her's this shot up my to-stitch list. I am stitching her on 32ct rather than 30ct as I needed her to be a little narrower to fit where I intend her to hang.

Kate - I hope you post some more of you wonderful photos soon as I find the close ups a huge help. There are a few stitches in this one that I have not done before and need some hand holding.

Happy New Year to everyone and don't forget to claim your SL discount voucher for January.






11 comments:

Lanie said...

She's beautiful, Nicola ... congratulations! I love how you 'signed' and dated this piece.
Enjoy 'Rachel' ... will look forward to your progress posts!
Wishing you many blessings in the new year!

Bethany said...

I am just in Awe.... I can't believe how many pieces you finish in such a short time. You must have little fairies helping with chores...... Happy New Year to you and your family.....

Jenny said...

Your sampler is just lovely Nicola. I love how you personalize each one...you have given me the confidence I needed to do that with mine as well....Rachel Jarratt will be just lovely, I will enjoy watching your progress! I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who bonds with the sampler that is being worked on and then miss them when I am finished :) I hope you and your family have a very Happy New year.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Ditto everyone else.

Congratulations on another beautiful finish.

I have two family weddings coming up in 2014 and need to get busy making each of them a personal wedding sampler. This is one of my favorite poems too and I think I should include it on one of them. Thanks for the reminder.

Krista said...

What a beautiful finish, Nicola! It is hard to decide what to do when you don't enjoy a piece, but how clever you changed it to what you like so it does not remain unfinished!

Will look forward to seeing your progress on Rachel. I hope you enjoy and bond with this one. I know I will have major withdrawals when I finish up my SDW!

Heritage Hall said...

Oh Nicola, what a beautiful finish. What a beautiful marriage. Wishing you and yours
a blessed and fulfilling 2014 to
come.
Gentility

Elizabeth said...

Another beautiful sampler Nicola. I just love the poem. All the best for 2014 x

Vera said...

So beautiful Nicola -- well done! And, love your new start as well. Best wishes to you and Ray for a fabulous 2014!

Theresa Born said...

Very beautiful! and you are such an ambitious stitcher, unafraid to dive into new venues! Happy New Year!

Faye said...

Beautiful start Nicola~ Blessing in 2014~~

Cindy L said...

Nicola, congratulations on another beautiful finish and your new start! I also bond with some of my samplers that I'll slow down my stitching so it won't end. Happy New Year to you and Ray!