Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Friday, 15 November 2013

A Post on behalf of Marsha, The Scarlet Letter



 I just started charting the German sampler dated 1704 and immediately noticed that the leaves in one of the upper third match exactly the leaves on Mary Bailey, made 114 years later.





If I hadn't been examining both samplers simultaneously I might have missed this.  It isn't a huge detail, but the evidence points to the fact that printed patterns were indeed shared, over centuries.  We have an ongoing legacy of patterns.
 
 
There must be a print book of patterns out there with this illustration.  

Sleuthing t
ime!

8 comments:

Nicola said...

I enjoy reading snippets of information about samplers. Thank you for sharing your discovery Marsha.

Elizabeth said...

It is so interesting to read how prints have been preserved and repeated throughout the years.

Debbie Bauer said...

Interesting! Would it not be amazing for someone to come across the printed book of patterns!!

Krista said...

Love the history behind these wonderful samplers! Thank you for sharing!

Lanie said...

First, happy happy news that you are charting the German sampler! Thank you, Marsha! My paternal grandfather immigrated from Germany when he was a young man, so this one will definitely be in my stitching basket! I love it!
I also love the history that each one of these samplers has to share. What a find a book of patterns would be!

Bethany said...

Thank you for sharing this information. I don't believe this is too surprising. Look at all of us, once we see something we like in the stitching world, we are trying to reproduce it. It might have been a little different back then, but I am sure the ladies felt the same way.

JoAnn said...

I noticed that the tree on the German Sampler 1704 and the Mary Bailey Sampler is also similar to the tree on Four Seasons. Evidently the stitcher's of bygone days were just like Bethany said, "once we see something we like, we try to reproduce it."

Dona said...

Very interesting!I enjoy learning about the historical connections of samplers.