Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Sunday, 8 September 2013

Mary Gail Finish

Last night - finally after 4 long months, I finished Miss Mary Gail!!!!  I can't tell you how happy I am.


Mary Gail
40 ct. Vintage Autumn Gold
AVAS Silk Threads

The colors are just wonderful in real life, and with the exception of the grass at times (which had me gnashing my teeth because I couldn't get it stitched fast enough), I loved every minute I worked on it!! Now I have to figure out what new Scarlett Letter piece I'll work on next!!

I should make a note here that I did not stitch the background as charted.  I substituted the Vintage Autumn Gold fabric to try to replicate stitching in the entire background.

This blog is so much fun and a wonderful place to see finishes and works in progress.  





15 comments:

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Congratulations on your finish Deb!

Your Mary Gail looks fabulous!

Lanie said...

Congratulations Deb! Oh how I love Miss Mary Gail!
Your stitching is beautiful ... and one day when I finally stitch this, I must remember that you used Autumn Gold linen instead of filling in all that background ... great idea!

Jenny said...

Congratulations Deb! Mary Gail looks wonderful!

samplerlover said...

Congratulations Deb, I know how much you loved working on Miss Mary. She is really lovely.

Deb said...

Thank you everyone!! Lanie, the idea to not stitch the background wasn't really my idea. Carol of Sampler Farm stitched hers the same way and when I saw hers I asked about it. I think that the Vintage Autumn Gold is a wonderful substitute for hours of background fill-in.

Bethany said...

Congratuations Deb. What a lovely sampler. I wish I could not fill all of mine in, but alas, it would be too difficult. Yours looks great and winning makes it all the more......

Scarlet Letter said...

I don't blame anyone for not filling in the background. It looks beautiful either way, but when I stitched my model (now on display at Lynn's in Madison, WI) I filled it in with wool, following the original, and it gives the piece a three dimensional quality. The fine silk against the more coarse wool makes a lovely contrast.

Melissa said...

Congratulations, Deb! Mary is so pretty!

Jonette said...

So pretty. Love the colors.

Vera said...

Gorgeous finish! What a charming sampler. Love it.

Erica near Chicago said...

I love it. Very appealing.

Faye said...

Whoop whoop~~~ VERY nice!!!

Erica near Chicago said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erica near Chicago said...

Congratulations! I did a similar thing on Margery Dean (http://scarlet-letter.com/samplers/dean.php). The background was to be filled in with cream colored cross stitch, but I left it unstitched.

Cindy L said...

Congratulations Deb! I love that you did not fill in the background and the colors are so bright. Another to add to the wish list.