Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Question

I was wondering... I know that most of the old samplers were stitched by very young girls but who designed them? The young girls?

A while ago I fell in love with Russian Rooster but I really disliked the whole sampler. I decided to stitch just the roosters motif (would you agree that they are very lovely?) Well, so much for my executive decisions... after I finished roosters I looked again on the writing and, after all, I figured that I like the sayings - such a beautiful, conservative values! I've changed my mind and it will be the whole sampler. Thank goodness I'd start my project on a piece of fabric that is large enough for the whole sampler. The left edge could be a little bigger, is just about an inch there... but I'm pretty sure I can manage.


fabric: 36ct Smokey White Edinburgh linen
floss: Liberty from Weeks Dye Works (red) and DMC 3847)

So long my friends,
Evalina

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think you made the right decision to do the whole sampler Evalina. It is going to look stunning,

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This looks lovely, I'm so pleased you have enough fabric for the whole thing too.

I think the girls were given patterns by the school they belonged to and either stitched as per the pattern or made their own layout using the motifs. You see groups of samplers from girls at the same school which are very similar in design,

Nicola said...

It happens to me too that I change my mind after I see a sampler growing. I always try to have more than enough fabric just in case :o))

Your stitching is always perfection Evalina.

Cindy L said...

Evalina, wow it is a good thing you do work on a large piece of fabric. This is such a lovely sampler as you see it grow.