Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Friday, 28 June 2013

Gennett Clapp's Sampler - half way

Good morning everyone!

Another gray day here in Belgium. May and June this year have been record breaking - it is cold, rainy and gray. I wonder if we are going to have a summer this year at all.
The Gennett Clapp's sampler on which I am working now also has something of the 'rainy day' feel. It is a bit grayish and very serene.

Here is a cover photo of Gennett's sampler:
And my progress so far:
I am stitching on 35ct Edinburgh 'Flax' with DMC and The Gentle Art threads. Most of the sampler is worked in regular cross stitches and I used 1 strand of cotton. But the scenery at the bottom had to be stitched with crosses that are 2 threads wide and 3 high. It seemed to me that the coverage is not going to be sufficient. Following the advise of some more experienced ladies I experimented a bit and finally decided to use for this part of the sampler a reversible cross stitch that gives an extra vertical stitch on the front side. It was time and thread consuming, and the result looks like that:
Good enough, I think.
Now I still have to finish a border, one line of the alphabet, two baskets and verse in over one.

Thanks for looking,
Inguna

15 comments:

Chris said...

Beautiful progress. I love all the green in this sampler.

Erica near Chicago said...

Very impressive. I love the look of the reversible cross stitch and will have to remember that solution.

Lanie said...

Well your summer may be cool and gloomy, but your stitching is beautiful. I love the alphabets and charming scene at the bottom.
Enjoy ... I will look forward to your finish!
And I hope your weather improves ... cold and rainy all summer long is not fun.

Vera said...

Inguna, this is beautiful!! Love the reversible cross stitch. Hoping you get some real summer weather soon!!

Cindy L said...

Inguna, your reversible cross stitch filled the space beautifully.

Bethany said...

Inguna,

Wow, this is a lovely sampler and it looks like you are more than half way. Sure wish I was. I can send summer your direction if you really want it. It is HOT HOT HOT and very Humid in Florida. It seems like the whole world is upside down with weather. I could use some rain and cloudy days.

Melissa said...

The bottom part may have taken a lot of effort and threads but you've done a great job and it looks fantastic!

Jenny said...

Your stitching is lovely and your sampler is coming along beautifully. I have not seen this sampler before, and that always surprises me considering all the time I spend on Mzrsha's site...LOL...I especially love the scene at the bottom.

Kielrain said...

That is looking lovely. I really like the reversible cross stitch. What a great idea.

Stitch Wizard said...

This is really beutiful Inguna!! I love seeing your progress!! <3

JoAnn said...

I have had this sampler kit in my stash for years and forgot all about it until I saw yours. Since I have never opened it I didn't know about the 2 x 3 xstitches. I love the way your's looks, but I wonder if I want to put myself through it.

Maybe I should just email Nicola and ask her if she would like me to mail it to her as another giveaway.

What do you think Inguna?

Inguna said...

JoAnn, it seems that this sampler is OOP at the moment. I think it is very generous to give Gennett away if you do not intend to stitch her. In general this sampler is an easy one(recommended for beginning level needle workers who feel ambitious:) and a coverage problem that I experienced was caused by a fact that I used 1 thread of cotton on 35ct linen. For some colors it works, for some it doesn't. A kit probably includes 30ct linen.

Marlene said...

It's definitely looking good!
Love the houses, their shape and color.
Also looking forward to the finish.
:)

Stitch Wizard said...

Inguna your sampler is really very pretty and I just love it!!! I love the houses too and your stitching is so uniform and just gorgeous!!

Nicola said...

Oh this is so pretty. It really appeals to me, such a shame it is OOP. I particulalry like that there is more than one house and would very much like to stitch it.