Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Monday, 13 May 2013

Richmond Theatre Fire Sampler--At last!

I have been looking for the Scarlet Letter's Richmond Theatre Fire Sampler forever and finally spotted it on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. I was the only bidder, maybe because people aren't looking for a silk-screened sampler (stamped). Some years ago I had emailed Marsha about it--it has a 1987 copyright--and she emailed me back promptly and kindly to say that alas, it was permanently out of print. It may have appeared on Ebay a number of times, but if it did, I missed it. When I worked in downtown Richmond a few years ago, I ventured to the Valentine Museum; they had neither a kit (I was hoping that there might be one hanging around), nor the original displayed.
Working on a stamped sampler is interesting. Instead of a preoccupation with counting and the location of one element in relation to another...
...the goal is to cover the silkscreened ink so that the (in this case) orangey-red print doesn't peep out from under the floss. The kit came with DMC, but I did a conversion provided by the chart; I had most of the colors of AVAS in my stash, and those that were missing I subbed with close colors. Although I have a lot of Needlepoint Inc. silks that would have worked well on counted cross stitch, I think NPIs are just a bit thinner than AVAS and wouldn't have provided quite the same coverage. Seventy-two people died in the fire on December 26, 1811, which was sparked by an unattended lamp left too close to some paper scenery. They had been attending a play.
I'm very much enjoying this sampler, as well as the sense of achievement for having found it finally, but I have to admit that I prefer counted cross stitch!

13 comments:

Sabrina Fechtel said...

It's so pretty!!!

Scarlet Letter said...

FYI, I have plenty of graphs left, for those of you who are brave enough to attempt a partially freehand project. Just send me a SASE ($1.07) and I'll send you the chart.

Glenna said...

This would be a very do-able project, even with the freehand. The chart is very clear. If you did the cross stitched sections first, it wouldn't be hard to add the freehand vine up the sides.

Faye said...

I have always wanted to give free hand a try.... This is beautiful!

Laura said...

It's so pretty!
I really like

Nicola said...

This is stunning. Please show us more as soon as you can.

Cindy L said...

Glenna, congratulations on finding your pattern. Very interesting story on the history of the piece.

Fiona said...

Pretty sampler and you have made a good start.

JoAnn said...

Such lovely stitching. Your talent really shows.

Jonette said...

So pretty! I saw this on Ebay and almost bid. So glad I did not bid against you!

Ellen said...

Great start to a very lovely sampler! Glad that you finally found your chart.

Hugs,

Marsha said...

It's very nice.

Susan Hamm said...

If you still have chart please email me at susanhamm11@comcast.net