Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Thursday, 11 April 2013

Post for Barb D


First off, let me say what a pleasure it is to see everyone's amazing work.  These pieces are labors of love that encompass all sorts of things besides: interest, passion, obsession, a compulsion to have something creative and soothing in our hands, a love of color, and the pleasure of sharing all of the above while getting to see a whole collection of other people's projects in various stages of completion. It's so much fun to see them all come to life.

Re. how many lights: I have 2 next to me, but one with 2 bulbs, and another one across the room.  So technically, I suppose that makes 3.  Re. 40 count fabric: not possible at my age and with my protesting eyesight.  I'm very happy to be able to handle 32 or 35 count fabric and stitch over 2.  Kudos to all who see well enough to do the smaller stitching!

Someone asked about the screaming greens in the "Coraggio" dragons.  Those are the greens in the chart.  However,  I toned some of the other greens down--leaves and vines for example--because I thought the bright ones were too bright for a piece that I wanted to feel a little faded.  And I'm very partial to swampy, muddier greens anyway, so changing that part of the palette was a given for me.  But I had already stitched the dragons, and though I thought about picking them out and stitching with more muted greens, the more we looked at them, the more we liked them (an employee and a friend).  So we decided to leave them as is.  Besides, Marsha's green dragons looked a little line one of those lovely baby dragons in Game of Thrones, so they will stay bright and majestic.

Progress pics of "Coraggio": A few more letters in the alphabet band; one of the Rampant Lions in Assisi work (I stitched his background with a darker, more burgundy hue.  I love him!!), the outlines of the cartouche for the verse, and a bit more side border. (It snowed a lot this week, so spent some additional time at home.)  Here are the photos:



7 comments:

Lanie said...

So beautiful! Love the colors!

Carolann Dunaske said...

Your sampler is beautiful...I love your color changes and the idea that you are making this truly "your own".This is another one of the samplers I really must have!!!

llknbillburg said...

This is just Gorgeous!!! Makes me want to pull it from my stash and start it right away!!! Laura

Stitch Wizard said...

This is just stunning and the colors are gorgeous!! You are making such good progress on this!

Nicola said...

Oh this is stunning. I too want to stitch this.

Fiona said...

The more I see Coraggio the closer it gets to my wish list. The colours and motifs are stunning.

Vera said...

Oh my! This is so gorgeous. I love, love, love that lion!!