Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Hannah Bennett circa 1810

I just realized that it has been ages since I last posted here, though I enjoy everyone else's posts every day. Such beauty being created here!

Several years ago, on one of my trips back home, I talked my sister into a visit to Sturbridge VIllage, just a few hours away from her home in Connecticut. Of course, I had my eye out for the samplers, and I bought a kit for one of them. It's Hannah Bennett circa 1810. It's an adorable little sampler, with lots of different stitches, and a whimsical scene with three canoeists. The boats are stitched in freehand, so I'll be practicing before I stitch that, I think.

Even though I have another project I'm trying to finish, I finally put a few stitches into Hannah this weekend. I was delighted to find that there are sections of pattern darning on the bottom, which I had not noticed before. I'm in a pattern darning mode these days, and have been scouring the net looking for sampler patterns with this stitch.

Here is a shot of my humble start:




The kit includes hand-dyed linen and DMC threads.

5 comments:

Julierose said...

What lovely stitching...Can't wait to see the whole picture come out...Julierose

Jenny said...

Lovely stitching, Louise.

Debbie Bauer said...

I have looked through all the designs many times. Yet somehow I never noticed Hannah before. That's why I love it when others post their designs. Can't wait to see the progress on this one.

Nicola said...

It is a beautful start too. I had missed this sampler on my visits to the SL website. I am looking forward to seeing her grow.

Fiona said...

Nice start,