Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Needlework journey to reproduction samplers

I read Nicola's post earlier this month, about sharing our journey to cross stitching reproduction samplers.    And, I had to think about this.

I attended an exhibit by our local EGA chapter in 1998.   I joined the chapter and in August 1998, took my first Saturday workshop - stitching on Linen.    Each of us had our own copy of Ginnie Thompson's Linen Stitches book, two colors of flower thread, needle, and a couple scraps of linen.


We learned the basics of cross stitching, eyelets, and the nun edge.    Once home, I went thru the rest of the diagrams + added stitches to my linen scrap.    I think I had the hang of linen ; )    

In November (1998) the chapter visited the Scarlet Letter in Wisconsin.    I was enchanted by the farm animals, the books, and in awe of every sampler model on the walls .... never mind I didn't have a clue how to do most of the needlework skills!   Yet, I bought kits - couldn't miss the opportunity.





I signed up for an EGA Correspondence Course on English Band Samplers.   Thru the course, I learned whitework (below), double-running (blackwork), queen stitches (samples above), spot motifs (left), a variety of specialty stitches.   I don't know if I will ever actually finish the thing, I did learn a lot.

To summarize, once I visited Scarlet Letter & saw the needlework on the walls, I was hooked!    For me, it was wonderful to have the kits in hand, and learn the different techniques to recreate them.   

Thank you Nicola, and others participating, for sharing their needlework journey on these blogs.    

8 comments:

Stitch Wizard said...

Beautiful photos and loved your story! I love Scarlet Letter too and I want so many of them but am enjoying stitching my new ones here. They are awesome and oh how wonderful that you got to go and see them at her farm too. What a treat!

Nicola said...

Oh Lelia, how I have enjoyed your post. We all have our own stories of how we fell in love with reproduction samplers and how could you not fall in love after visiting Marsha' s home.

The photos of your work are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Jenny said...

What a wonderful post Lelia. I am inspired every day by this blog as well as Marsha's website......I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to visit in person.

Lanie said...

How wonderful, Lelia, that you had the opportunity to visit Marsha's Scarlet Letter ... I can only imagine what a delightful experience it would be. My wish is one day my travels will take me there!

Debbie Bauer said...

What a wonderful needlework journey! I am so glad you shared.
I am envious of your visit to Marsha's.

Vera said...

Beautiful photos Lelia! Love your story and your mention of visiting Scarlet Letter brought back my visit there 2 decades ago (or so...).

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Lovely story Lelia. Your stitching is beautiful.

I have not been to Marsha's home, but almost the next best thing. Marsha use to travel to York, PA for an antique show bringing all her models, kits. The first time I went, I was in heaven! It was so hard to choose; I wanted them all, of course.

Fiona said...

It was great to read your story and see all your lovely samples of stitches.