Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Friday, 1 March 2013

My next sampler

First of all, thanks for all you lovely comments on The Harriot Boardman Sampler!
You people are all so nice!

Just to answer a few questions.
I used DMC, and the special blue/green linen that came with it in the kit from The Scarlet Letter.
I loved stitching on this linen!  My eyes are not as good as they used to be, so I have always shyed away from the dark-colored linens, but this linen was a pleasure to stich on, not difficult at all!

I have loved seeing all your projects. I would really love to stitch Jane Atkinson and Dorothy Walpole some day. At the moment however, I find myself in some rather difficult financial conditions, and have to limit my stitching to my stash.

As luck would have it, that is not a problem. I have a number of Scarlet Letter samplers from which to choose. For my next adventure, I have chosen The Mary Hart Sampler. I am a cat lover, and simply cannot resist a sampler with a cat on it!

The Mary Hart Sampler 1800
 
Mary is from the M.H. de Young Memorial Museum in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. CA.

The colors on the cat are truly weird but it is suggested that perhaps exposure to ultra violet light over the years has changed the original color of the dyes.
The verse is quite morbid, and a second verse is given for those who want to change it.
No problem for me! I love the morbid ones!

Here's a better look.
The verse goes:

This little Piece my Friends may have,
When I am dead and in my Grave
When greedy Worms shall feed on me.
My name hereunder you may see

Ha! Love it!

I am going to stitch it on 32 count linen in Antique White, using Au ver a soie, my favorite silk. Lucky for me, I had all the necessary colors.


I can't wait to get started!

4 comments:

Gwen said...

It's really great to go to that thread drawer and find all of the colors that you need. Yeah! Looking forward to seeing you progress.

Nicola said...

There is something very endearing about this sampler, a great choice for your next stitch.

brod'attitude said...

very nice

Fiona said...

Totally understand about stitching from Stash. Lucky you that you had some SLs in your stash and the silks to stitch it. Looking forward to watchinb your progress.