Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Saturday, 9 March 2013

My first cross-stitch

I was introduced to cross stitch by a Danish friend, and my first piece was a Danish designed Bell Pull - this has hung in my Mother's kitchen for over 30 years!  It was sewn on Aida using Danish Flower threads. I think it still looks good for a first attempt at cross-stitch!
I then progressed to various small samplers but I did not sew on Aida for very long - linen gave me the look I wanted and I have sewn on various counts ever since.  I remember going to an exhibition of old quilts and samplers whilst on holiday in America back in the 1980's - and then my love of antique samplers, and their history, took hold - and I discovered Scarlet Letter samplers probably about 23/24 years ago whilst on holiday in Cape Cod.  Nicola's SL Challenge is a wonderful excuse to hunt for the patterns bought many years back and sew sew sew!

5 comments:

Radka said...

Lovely story :-)

Jenny said...

I love your bell-pull Angie. One of the first cross-stitch patterns I purchased was a Danish Bell-pull as well. It still is not finished...LOL...but someday.

Nicola said...

Great post Angie and yes your first cross stitch does look pretty good.

brod'attitude said...

Very nice

Fiona said...

I am really enjoying reading everyone's stories on how they got started.