Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Saturday, 9 March 2013

How I got started...

I first stitched a little tablemat on Binca in Year 2 of Primary School (aged about 7) then nothing for many years until in 1993 I saw a friend stitching a Country Companions design for her new baby.  I like the process if not the subject matter and hunted around for something more "me" and found these two designs.  I can't remember which was stitched first but it was probably the blue (I prefer blue)

DSC02062ABCSampler.jpg ABC Sampler  DSC02062ABCSampler.jpg ABC Sampler


This is another early piece (1994) stitched for my grandparents' move into sheltered housing:
DSC02117BlueTilefloral.jpg Blue Tile Floral

This one was a joint effort between me and my Mum.  She started it then ground to a halt so eventually I finished it.  I discovered she does her xxx the opposite way to me so I had to make the effort to keep mine the same!
DSC02050bluesampler.jpg Blue Sampler

Over the years I have stitched alot of samplers of various styles but never a genuine reproduction until Nicola asked me to help with this blog.  I thought I ought to join in and chose my first Scarlet Letter, the English Transitional c1700.  I'm sure it won't be my last!

Here's another favourite inspired by antique samplers, the motifs are certainly familiar.  It came from a cross stitch magazine in 1998:
DSC02062ABCSampler.jpg ABC Sampler

The more eagle-eyed may have spotted I had different initials in these!  I only became JMP in 2007.

I do have a Happy Dance Blog called Come happy dance with me where you can see all my finishes (nearly all, got about 30 more photos to load!)

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Your samplers are beautiful Jo. I especially love the one you did with your Mum. How special.

Marsha said...

How nice to do one with your Mum. I taught my Mum to cross stitch the year she under went chemo for ovarian cancer. She disliked it very much but finished a wonderful sampler and won't do counted cross again! LOL. I find I cross my stitches different than most people. I don't know why.

Nicola said...

I enjoyed your reading your stitching journey. I kept my own surname when I got married, it has caused lot of confusion over the years. LOL.

Rachel said...

I love and appreciate all of your pieces...but that one that both you and your mom worked on? What a treasure!

brod'attitude said...

Very beautiful pieces.

Fiona said...

Great story, it is almost identical to how I got started...LOL.