Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Saturday, 9 March 2013

Creating the monster

My sister asked me to stitch "The Chase", a needlework piece printed on linen, based upon the original in the collection of Colonial Williamsburg.  Did it, then my mum wanted one, did another.  Then I decided that I needed one as well, but by the third I was pretty disgusted with the way it looked, the background printing showing through, so I started messing around with linen and DMC cotton.  The rest is history.  My third "Chase" is in the attic.

What I love most about antique textiles is that you can feel the maker through the cloth.  Textiles are mostly ephemeral, linen binding the bodies of mummies excepted temporarily.  Without proper conservation all of this magical work will vanish.

2 comments:

Nicola said...

Oh Marsha it must be wonderful to see and handle all these wonderful samplers and yes I am sure you can feel the stitcher. I can feel them to when stitching.

Fiona said...

By reproducing these wonderful samplers you are ensuring that they will still be around in years to come, even if the originals have deteriorated.