Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Sunday, 13 January 2013

The Needlework Police is Knocking



Hannah Breed has languished in my stitch stash for years!  One of the reasons Hannah has languished in the stash is because I was afraid to start her!  Fear #1 has been faced--Hannah has been started.  My second fear and reason Hannah has been so long in waiting is because of the queen stitches!  Darlene O'Steen in her book The Proper Stitch says this about the Queen stitch.

Queen stitch, also known as rococo stitch, though time-consuming, is one of the loveliest stitches found on works from the seventeenth century.  When queen stitch is pulled, a lacy effect is achieved, creating a stitch "fit for a queen."  The resulting pattern of the queen stitch is a diamond shape with center tacking stitches.

Before I tackled the queen stitches on Hannah Breed, I got out my trusty, old faithful, doodle practice piece of linen and gave the Queen stitch the old college try.  The first ones looked terrible!  Since Hannah was nine years old when she stitched this sampler, I was not willing to concede defeat and continued stitching.  Admittedly, the more stitches I made, the better looking they became.  As is the case with most needlework, I believe the secret to the Queen stitch is the correct amount of tension.

You will have to excuse me, someone is knocking at the front door, I suspect it is the needlework police calling!

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Well, I guess the Needlework Police may be knocking on my door next. Two more rows on my Dorothy Walpole and I will be faced with the dreaded Queen Stitch. Gotta practice, practice, practice.

Nikki

Gabi said...

If it was the Needlework Police, go ask them how to do those stitches correct. And keep them away from me...lol. Mine look alwas whacky.

Nicola said...

I think the trick is in the tension too. Queen stitches look so pretty they are well worth all the effort.

Rachel said...

That totally cracked me up. I think practice and tension are the key :-) It is looking beautiful!

Fiona said...

Your Queen Stitches look fine to me. But how funny that you basically created your own sampler to practice your stitches for Hannah.