Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Saturday, 26 January 2013

Post for Leona "A Finish"

              Details :- Emma Miles – Finish
                         Unknown 40ct linen
                               DMC threads




Last night I put in the last stitches on Emma Miles. 


I started this sampler over 5years ago and put her aside when I got so close to only having the over sections left to stitch.  After doing other samplers and then joining the SL Challenge, I picked her up again and to my astonishment I was able to complete her.  I only lacked the confidence to tackle it but with the aid of my good light and magnifier, was able to do complete this beautiful sampler. 





She is a popular one amongst stitchers, I see.  It was the holly band and the birds that drew me to her. 







I look forward to framing it and having it hung on my wall.








Some of you may notice that I have changed a few of the stitches on this sampler.  I have not done any satin stitch.  When I started this sampler,  I was new to reproductions but now am more appreciative of the young girls so many years ago and respect their work with awe.



My next project will be Frances B Jones but unfortunately I am waiting on the linen to be sent from the States.  I hope it won’t take too long or I will have to find another project to start. 


We here in Australia, have had some crazy weather.  First heat waves and bushfires, then cyclones and now flooding in Queensland following a monsoonal low.  Today it is a grey day so I hope to get some stitching done.  Perhaps I will work on another WIP that I have in my stash.


Happy stitching to all

Leona

22 comments:

Nicola said...

Congratulations Leona on such a beautiful finish, Emma is certainly one to be very proud of.

Thank you for all the close up photos they are so nice to see.

ilana kaye said...

Another congratulations on a beautiful finish. I also enjoyed seeing the close up detail of your lovely stitching.

Lanie said...

Congratulations, Leona on a beautiful finish. There are so many elements that make Emma one of the lovely girls!

Hope your weather settles soon and everyone stays safe.

HollyXSing said...

Congratualtions, Leona! Your Emma is beautiful....I only hope mine turns out as well as yours!

Happy Stitches,

-Holly in VA

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations Leona...Emma is just stunning.

Angie Burrett said...

Well done Leona, such a beautiful sampler. you must feel very proud - your stitching is perfect. Please show again when framed!

Kathy said...

Congratulations on your BEAUTIFUL finish. Wish I could say mine was that far along and ready for framing!

Hope your linen arrives very soon.

joann mccormick said...

Congratulations on your finish!

I will have to add this to my stash!

Donna said...

Leona your Emma is beautiful I think I may have to start this one sooner rather than later

Tommye said...

Absolutely stunning work! Congrats on finishing.

Does this mean there is hope that I'll finish Margret Gatis?

Jean P said...

Congratulations! Miss Miles is beautiful!

Faye said...

This is just gorgeous!!!! Congrats on a job well done!!!!

Dawn said...

Congratulations. She is beautiful! I hope to follow you soon.

Leona S said...

Thank you all for the lovely comments. Unfortunately the weather has become more crazy. Much more rain and we have had 6 tornadoes in coastal areas of Queensland over the past 24 hours, some causing a lot of damage. Yes tornadoes!! (We don't get tornadoes.....usually) Luckily we are only having rain here and rain is what we need. So having another quiet day maybe with thread and needle in hand :)

Dawn said...

Congratulations on a fabulous finish!! Such a beautiful heirloom. Thank you for sharing.

Mindi said...

Congratulations on a lovely finish. The holly border is what drew me to this sampler as well. I hadn't even noticed how pretty the birds are until you posted your pictures, I haven't gotten to that point yet.

samplerlover said...

Emma is really beautiful Leona. I also love the holly band and the birds. Would love to do this one, one day.
We had a huge storm early in the morning and so much rain in the Mountains. It is very overcast here at the moment and is a good stitching day. My Cousin's Son is in Gladstone and she has been very worried about him. She was so relieved last night to get a quick email from him. Another Cousin is in Bundaberg. Another terrible place to be at the moment with Tornadoes. - Sandra.

Ellen said...

Gorgeous! Congrats on the finish and looking forward to your start!

Hugs,

Christine said...

Congratulations, it is lovely

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Emma is lovely. Your work is beautiful.

Congratulations!

Gabi said...

Congratulations. Your Emma is just gorgeous. :)

Fiona said...

Congratulations on finishing Emma, she looks stunning.