Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Post for Barbara H


In 1997 I worked The Chimney Piece with DMC cotton floss. I purchased a lot more floss because I wanted a more solid field of stitching.


Chimeypiece




There are a variety of stitches, I chose to use the split stitch mostly to fill in. My work was awarded a First Place Ribbon at the Woodlawn Needlework Show in Alexandria, Virginia.



Chimeypiece

Chimeypiece

Chimeypiece




I was told by the woman in charge that my sampler would have won the Viewer’s Choice Award, but lost by three votes.



When my daughter Jessica announced her engagement, I asked her what kind of sampler she would like for her wedding. Jessica of course, wanted one like her favorite – The Chimney Piece.

Good thing I also had The River. The River has been OOP. I made a copy of the printed paper, modified the design, and transferred it to 40 count Graziano linen (took me 3 tries to get it right).




The River



I added a few personal touches. I wouldn’t let them take it home right away. It needed to go on tour to my Sampler Guilds & such.

Jessica’s wedding sampler was awarded a First Place Ribbon in the Maryland State Fair 2004.



I so enjoy reading and watching everyone’s progress. You all make my day!



Barbara



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

25 comments:

Nicola said...

Oh Barbara your Chimney is the most amazing sampler that I have seen outside of a museum.

I have blown the photos up and studied them. WOW !!!!!

I am ordering this chart straight away and going to try and hunt down a copy of The River, as my son got married in 2012 and lives on a farm with a huge lake and has lots of animals this would make a beautiful sampler for his home.

Christine said...

They are gorgeous!

samplerlover said...

Oh my goodness, I have never seen these tw samplers before and they are totally amazing.

Lanie said...

Oh my stars! ... Barbara ... your work is absolutely amazing! ... Beautiful ... I need to get my thesaurus out to come up with more descriptive words!

Thank you so much for sharing! You will be my inspiration today as I struggle with a tiny bit of stem stitch on the sampler I am stitching (arrgghhh!!)

Katherine said...

WOW! Amazing samplers! Just WOW!

Erica near Chicago said...

Wow! That is amazing. What sort of frame did you use to hold the Chimney Piece while you were working on it?

Jane Steen said...

Oh my goodness...this blog is inhabited by true needleworkers. I feel like a total amateur. Where, may I ask, does one find the chart for this magnificent piece?

Ellen said...

Barbara,
This is amazing! You have me drooling--oh my goodness! How did I miss seeing this at your lovely home?

I never would have thought of doing it in stem stitch. I love it that way!

Nikki said...

Your work is truly amazing. I have never seen anything like it since I have been stitching for over 40 years. WOW, is all I can say.

Nikki

Kathy said...

WOW! WOW! WOW!

Just absolutely DROP DEAD gorgeous!!

Scarlet Letter said...

Good morning! The Chimneypiece is a "stamped" design; i.e. the design has been printed onto the linen. It isn't done using the counted thread technique, so there is no chart available. Amazing work, Barbara. Yours puts my model to shame!

Jane Steen said...

Thanks for the info - I don't think I'll ever produce work of that quality but it's nice to dream!

Deb said...

Such beautiful stitching!!

Donna said...

Absolutely beautiful

Leona S said...

AMAZING! (that's all I can say as I am completely dumbstruck with how amazing they are)

Ellen said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Hugs,

Ellen said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Hugs,

Rowyn said...

Both samplers are absolutely fabulous!

Dona said...

Gorgeous samplers and such beautiful work!!

Kathy Ellen said...

These are two amazingly beautiful samplers, which certainly deserved First Prize Ribbons. Your needlework is absolutely magnificent.

anniebeez said...

I am totally enthralled by Chimney Piece!! I have looked so often at this piece in the catalog but it seemed so daunting! But seeing your close-up pics I am going to have to get it!!!Thank you for sharing!

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. She was a joy to stitch.

I used a round spring tension embroidery hoop. I own an older 10" hoop, but also used other sizes. If you don't have one of those, use a strong, thick wooden hoop - the hoops from Germany are very good. You will need strong tension when working this sampler.

Ellen, she adorns the dining room.

Teri said...

Oh my gosh. I've not seen either of these pieces before. The Chimneypiece made me stop and gasp. Your work is absolutely beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

My word - what beautiful, beautiful samplers. Absolutely stunning.

Cheryl Matzker said...

WOW! Amazing, that is an over dose of pretty and I would love to create something like that. Is the pattern available any where and did you stitch it as instructed or wing this beauty on your own. I am just simply floored. I love how the clouds look as though they are whirling. Awesome job.