Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Tuesday, 22 January 2013

My Next Challenge will be Harriot Boardman


The Harriot Boardman Sampler 1804 
This sampler comes from Dover, Massachusetts.

I am using DMC, stitching on 25-count green linen. I must say I am intrigued with this linen. It is dyed with different colors in the warp and weft, as the original was. It is a unique combination of blue and green threads.

This type of ground has been found on samplers made from 1788 through the 1820's, from Canada and Maine to Washington D.C., but is most  frequently found on samplers from the north shore, Essex County Massachusetts and eastern New Hampshire.

The stitches used include cross, satin, eyelet, stem, counted thread and freehand.

This is a WIP. Here is where I am picking it up:


A closer look:


The deer, flower pot, and grass at the bottom will all be done freehand. That should be interesting, if not a bit intimidating!

11 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Wow!!! That is all I can say!

Lelia said...

wonderful stitching - and using the darker ground must be a challenge!

Stitch well today

Krista said...

Very pretty. So different to see it on a green linen!

Elizabeth said...

This is really lovely and the colour of the linen really highlights the colours of the threads.

Lanie said...

Love this sampler Erica. The silk colors are fabulous against the dark green linen. Good luck with your freehand!

Donna said...

Is the fabric Linsey Woolsey the colors look great on it

Dot said...

I absolutely love this but I'm intimidated by the dark fabric. I will enjoy watching your progress.

Ellen said...

Wow, gorgeous! Love that green linen!

Hugs,

Vera said...

Oh! That is so pretty on the green fabric. I have had difficulty in the past stitching on dark fabric. I've tried putting a white cloth underneath the linen, but that hasn't helped. Old eyes, I guess!!

C Street Samplerworks said...

Erica, I'm so glad to see that you're stitching Harriot Boardman, but now I will feel even more guilty, because "Poor Harriot", as she is known in my household, has languished in my UFO basket for many years.

I got bogged down when I got to the freehand deer. I’ve tried starting them several times, but I just can't seem to get a handle on them. Hopefully seeing your progress will encourage me to give the deer and Poor Harriot another chance.

As for stitching on dark fabric, I always keep a dark surface beneath the linen and use a very strong light above. That way I can see the linen threads clearly. White underneath makes the holes more visible, which used to help me when stitching on dark Aida, but with linen it seems more important for me to be able to count the threads, not the holes.

Fiona said...

Gorgeous fabric. Your stitching looks stunning on it.