Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Saturday, 26 January 2013

It's all Debby's fault!

I was supposed to use this SAL to finish poor Ann Grimshaw who has been being dragged around since 2005. But when Debby posted her gorgeous start on Elizabeth Sheffield, I became obsessed! I was in a quandary, though, because the DMC colors were so much more beautiful and vibrant than the AVAS- but I really MUCH prefer stitching with silk. Then I remembered that HDF solids convert to DMC and I had just gotten a shipment of the last few colors needed to complete my full set! Even better- I already had the chart, too! As for fabric, well, surely I would have to go buy fabric, as I never have the count and color I want in the right size. I had decided to stitch this on 32ct, because of all of the over-1, which I really don't like. Since I usually stitch on 36 or 40ct, I surely wouldn't have anything on hand. Well... It just so happened that I had a fat quarter of 32ct Lakeside Vintage Maritime (my all-time favorite sampler color!) that I had been hoarding from a long-ago FOTM (the first month and year Maritime was introduced, as a matter if fact!) I had calculated that Elizabeth would fit on a fat quarter, with 2 1/2" borders. So I am feeling QUITE virtuous about my new start, since everything I'm using came from my stash! I am really enjoying stitching this one. It's like a coloring book and the colors are so pretty! The coverage on the over-2 cross stitch is fine on the 32ct since the dying really makes it closer to 34-35ct.

Here she is after 20 hours, (one full week) of avoiding the over-1 part. Maybe I will get up the nerve to start the blue bird on the right tomorrow!

10 comments:

Krista said...

Beautiful start, love the HDF colors! And how great it all came from your stash! love it when that happens.

Elizabeth said...

It was obviously meant to be! Your stitching is lovely and you have made really quick progress so far.

Nicola said...

I agree with Elizabeth, it was fate that you are stitching her.

I love the bird.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Lanie said...

Eluzabeth is definitely hard to resist, she is stunning! What a happy day that you were able to piece together all your supplies...maybe one day that will happen to me too!

Enjoy!

Donna said...

Beautiful start I love this sampler

~mj~ said...

This start was meant to be! Beautiful stitching!

Ladymarquoir said...

It is absolutely stunning, I am in awe of all you ladies that get so much done so quickly, Giuseppina

Faye said...

Wow..... YOu are totally devoted!!!! Nice job!!!!

Fiona said...

Great progress and the colours look great.

Stitch Wizard said...

I just now read your post here and wow do you ever make me feel good!! Your stitching on this is absolutely beautiful and I am so happy that you like Elizabeth Sheffield!! She is my first Scarlet Letter sampler and I am so happy to have you stitching this along with me!! You are so sweet and I hope you really enjoy stitching her!! :))