Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Friday, 18 January 2013

Forensic needlework

This is on my drawing board now, just unveiled.   It's a Spanish sampler dated 1842.  The first photo shows the front, the second shows the back which was laced, the third shows the back unlaced.  Spanish 1842, her current name, isn't as spectacularly colored on the reverse as I had hoped. The fading is unfortunately pervasive.  After undoing her laces I can see that she was framed (and glued at the edges) probably forty years after she was finished.  Still, she is in remarkable condition and never one to be discouraged I have pretty much mastered the art of interpreting original color based upon visual fading and I'll be able to liven her up with closer examination.  Vegetable dyed silks fade similarly, some more visible than others on the back side, and I've seen enough of them to be able to extrapolate what dyes were used, and what this might have looked like in 1842.  Can anyone interpret the Spanish for me?



13 comments:

Nicola said...

Oh Marsha what a gorgeous and different sampler to be reproducing. I adore samplers with lots of specialty stitches and this is certainly going to be yet another one for me.

I am sorry that I cannot help you with the Spanish.

How many hours do you expect the charting to take.

Delfi said...

She is beautiful!

I can't make out all the letters from the photo, but so far I can see the names Gonzales, Lucia & Bustamante, SRA - which means Señora (Mrs.), Brozas (maybe under the tutelage of?), Lo Hizo (equivalent of Wrought By)

I would need a clearer photo to make out the rest.

I hope that is of some help. I would love to stitch this one!

Thank you for sharing. :)
Delfi

Delfi said...

I forgot to add that Agosto = August

Lanie said...

Oh my my, Marsha! What a beautiful sampler. I love specialty stitches also. Can't wait to see how you dress her up with color!

Delfi said...

Wrought by Antonia Gonzales student (disciple) of Señora ______ Lucia ________ of Bustamante Brozass, August 1, 1842

Elizabeth said...

This will be such a beautiful sampler to work on.

Angie Burrett said...

This definitely has the WOW factor Marsha - it is so gorgeous. What a task ahead with the charting, but oh so worth while. Sorry, my Spanish is limited to Vino Rosso!

Mindi said...

What a gorgeous sampler, even with all the fading. I can't wait to see what you come up with as the "original" colors. I love the square look and the borders.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

What a beautiful design, it's so pretty. I love the variety of stitches in it.

Dona said...

How interesting! It's a beautiful sampler and I look forward to seeing the colors you choose.

Kathy said...

Marsha, I, too, think this a gorgeous sampler. For some reason I love satin stitches. Can't wait to see your version for colors.

Fiona said...

Looking forward to seeing what she looks like with colour added. But even without colour she looks gorgeous.

Scarlet Letter said...

Thanks to the Spanish speaking folks. I'm starting to chart her this evening and would appreciate more input as I proceed.