Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Elizabeth Mitchell - progress

Happy New Year to you all.

Here is my progress on Elizabeth Mitchell 1828. I am really enjoying stitching this although progress can be a bit slow - sometimes I seem to have to take out more than I  stitch! My stitching is improving - certainly the back of the work isn't quite such a mess.  I love finishing a motif and can't wait to get the next one done - probably the reason I make mistakes! I need to figure out how to do the central lettering as it is one over one (just think a few weeks ago I didn't even know what one over one was!) as I decided I am not yet proficient enough to do anything on linen so I am doing this on 14ct Aida. I do think though that it would look nicer on linen but I am sure I will enjoy her hanging on my wall just as she is.

My DH gave me Elizabeth Brain for Christmas.



Now this is going to be a challenge. The Irish linen is beautiful but extremely fine. The sampler is stitched using stem, chain, satin and outline stitches. The only stitch I have done is outline (which I am presuming is a back stitch) so I will have a steep learning curve. I have been practising chain and stem stitch this morning.  I think this will be a WIP for some considerable time but I am tempted to make a start before I finish Elizabeth Mitchell.

I also have Seventeen Sailors to do but this will have to wait for a wee while as I will probably do Margaret Randolph as my first sampler on linen. I love the vibrant colours in this sampler.

Here is Seventeen Sailors ready and waiting.


I am so enjoying participating in Nicola's Scarlet Letter Year. It really has given me a new hobby - and I am learning so much from all of you. I really enjoy the friendship too.

6 comments:

Carmen Sutton said...

Elizabeth,what lovely work thus far and you already have one finished well done. Did you say that you were stitching this on adia? This may cause a problem with the over one letters, you mentioned because you can not split the threads due to the weave of the adia cloth. Take a look befor you get to far along.

Nicola said...

We will re-chart the centre together Elizabeth. I wonder if you would find a daylight light and magnifier a help. I will email you about this..

Wonderful progress, you are going to be just a good a cross stitcher as you are a knitter very soon my friend.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you Nicola x

EvalinaMaria said...

Thank you and happy New Year to you too!

Linen is lovely to work with, do not be scared.

Krista said...

What a lovely start! Love that pretty gold star on that one. You have lots of good things waiting in the wings too! What fun!

Lisa M said...

I can understand why Elizabeth Brain seems daunting - it would be to me too! However nothing ventured nothing gained. Elizabeth Mitchell is such a pretty sampler, another one I hadn't seen until now :) Seventeen Sailors is one of my favourites.