Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Sunday, 20 January 2013

Elizabeth Cox


I noticed that Lanie is doing Sarah Stuart and is worried about doing stem stitch.  I thought that I would show this beautiful Scarlet Letter sampler that I just had to do a few years ago.  It was done by Elizabeth Cox.  The reason why I just had to do it was because my Grandmother's name was Annie May Elizabeth Cox.  Plus my Grandmother was a very talented lady with a needle.  Sadly I never got to meet her as she passed away a few months before I was born from Breast Cancer.


What makes this Elizabeth so special besides the whole overall look of her is the bottom section where the farm house is.  It is mostly all done in stem stitch plus there as a bit of satin stitch and French Knots, but it is all mostly stem stitch.  Row upon row of it.

Although when I first started working on it, I had a few anxious moments, but once I started I ended up thoroughly enjoyed the experience of working on her.

http://www.scarlet-letter.com/samplers/cox.php

This is the antique version of it that Marsha has worked from.  It is a really beautiful sampler

http://www.scarlet-letter.com/antiques/cox.php

12 comments:

Kaisievic said...

This is stunning! Gorgeous colours but I couldn't see the design on The Scarlet Letter website?

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Sandra your work is stunning, as always.

It is wonderful to make a personal connection to an antique sampler. :-)

I have a feeling that your Grandmother is watching over you with a very big smile. She would be so proud of your needlework skills.

Barbara

Sea Witch said...

These are just lovely. So glad I found your blog through the Grow Your Own Blog party. Your work is so detailed and historically accurate.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

WOW! That is one mighty impressive sampler!

Gabi said...

Wow Sandra. That is so very beautiful. Thanks for showing. I just went to your blog enlarged all pics I could find of this sampler and spend some time drooling over the details.

Nicola said...

I have stopped and looked at this sampler many times and wondered if my skills were up to her. It is such a stunning sampler and different too.

A huge congratulations on having completed her.

brod'attitude said...

I love, I love....

Elizabeth said...

Just wonderful.

Rosa said...

It`s just beautiful!

Lanie said...

Oh my, my, my...absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing! This beauty makes me want to keep practicing my stem stitches because I'll be adding this to my "to do" list!
Thank you for the link to the stem stitch tutorial. At least now I'm confident I am executing the stitch properly. I think I just need to work on my tension...always the tension!

Fiona said...

Stunning work.

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

une pure merveille !!!!!
bravo