Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Ann Scutt's fourth band


I'm trying to work a band a week on Ann Scutt, and here is this week's band.

This is the only band that uses red on the whole sampler. This is one of the things that always mystifies me when working on a reproduction sampler--why did they make the choices they made? Did she only have one length of red thread or did she stitch it in, decide she didn't like it, and then avoid it for the rest of the sampler? (Naturally, we never rip anything out if we absolutely don't have to . . .)

Ann

7 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Hmm! An interesting mystery! Lovely progress.

Scarlet Letter said...

Examining antique needlework poses many questions. I suspect this piece was not meant to be framed, but as a pattern record, and perhaps Ann was experimenting with a new colour straight from the dye-pot.

Nicola said...

How many bands are there Ann?

There are always mysteries to be puzzled over when stitching a reproduction sampler.

My imagination goes into overtime as I stitch and I have invented a life and a background for my stitcher before I know it.

It adds to the fun !!!

Krista said...

These bands are so gorgeous. I have wondered too how the colors are chosen, some just don't seem to fit at all but it makes them unique.

HollyXSing said...

Beautiful work, Ann!

I can't wait to see more!

-Holly in VA

Lanie said...

So pretty, Ann! Looking forward to seeing more.

I read somewhere (can't recall where) that reds were costly to dye and therefore used mostly by those who were financially well-to-do and sparingly by those who were not. hmmmm...this sounds logical, but I cannot claim 100% accurate.

Regardless, I am also always interested in the stories behind these lovely samplers.

Michele said...

Loving it. x