Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Saturday, 5 January 2013

A Post for Robert



I am so pleased to be a part of this group and celebration of Nicola's big five o. 

A little something about myself -- I am a fifty something year old gentleman that has been stitching for over twenty five years.  I have been married for over 30 years and have two children - one son in his fourth year of college and a daughter who is a senior in high school. I learned how to cross stitch when i was in the United States Navy and stationed in Iceland. A neighbor of my wife and I gave me a kit one day and since that time I have not stopped.  Once I got out of the service in 1989 I was introduced to reproduction samplers through a local needlework shop. Since that time I have stitched many reproductions and I am always amazed at the number of new reproductions that are made available each year.

I have collected a few Scartlet Letter charts but have not stitched very many.  The first one that I stitched was Ann Grimshaw, a very beautiful large Quaker sampler that hangs over my fireplace. I have stitched four other Scarlet Letter designs -- Elizabeth Sheffield, Side By Side German Band Sampler, Jane Atkinson, and JCS 1707. 
My new start for Nicola's Scarlet Letter Year is And All Was for An Appil. 

And All Was For An Appil


This one is not very difficult (all cross stitch) but will take a little bit of time with all of that black outlining and fill-in. I am stitching this on 36-ct Lakeside Attic Lace using the recommended DMC.
I am looking forward to completed this and a couple of others this year.
Warmest regards,

13 comments:

Nicola said...

Hello Robert and a very warm welcome to the group.

Stitching must have helped pass your leisure time when in the Navy. It is wonderful to have a hobby that gives enjoyment whilst stitching a piece then years of joy adorning your home.

I look forward to seeing your progress on this and other projects.

Than you so much for participating and adding to the fun.

Faye said...

A wonderful start Robert!!!, I have loved this one forever and hope it will be the one I stitch after completing Rebecca Robinson.....

joann mccormick said...

AAWFAA was a fun stitch, and as A&E's are a favorite I hope to hang it front and center of all my A&E's!

Elizabeth said...

Hello Robert and welcome. I was a Captain in the QARANC so it is lovely to have someone else participating in Nicola's special year who has been in the armed forces too.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Welcome to the group Robert, I've missed seeing your beautiful samplers of late.

Brenda in WI said...

Yes, Welcome Robert. It will be great to see your progress on that sampler. I have also and am looking forward to doing it sometime in the future. It is good to see you here.

Lanie said...

Hi Robert! Welcome...so glad to see you and your lovely stitching again! Hope you are doing well.

Ellen said...

Beautiful start, love the colors!

Hugs,

brod'attitude said...

Welcome to you and happy stichking

Margaret said...

It's good to see you here, Robert! Hope you are doing well.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Hello Robert,

Love your first choice.
I have watched several Guild members work this gorgeous sampler.

I look forward to your progress and perhaps you can share images of your past Scarlet Letter works, please?

Barbara

Kathy said...

Welcome Robert,

Looks like you're off to a good start on this. The colors are pretty and I can't wait to see more progress.

Marlene said...

Hi Robert,
I'm doing this sampler next. It's lovely...you've made a great start.
Did you outline it all first and then are you filling in?
or are you outlining and filling in as you go?