Well here we are at the start of another new year where we can hopefully fulfill all of our stitching wishes.
I've made a tentative start on Dorothy Walpole. I say tentative as it's about the fifth attempt so far.
I always have issues with choosing fabric and for some reason I found it especially difficult to make just the right choice for this sampler.
Hopefully the fabric you see in the photo is my final choice and once I've stitched a little more, I'll put it onto a frame. I ended up with 35 count permin linen in a very pale shade of lambswool using the charted AVAS.
I tried 35 count white permin, 32 count permin and 36 count Zweigart in flax and cream.
I find it hard to stitch on soft fabric so the Zweigart linen was discarded quickly, this made the choice much more limited. Although I liked the 32 count, I felt that it just wasn't right for this design.
No doubt you'll have noticed that I've started the design half way down the sampler. Initially I was going to stitch the whole design but as soon as I started on the first alphabet, I changed my mind. I'm not a fan of stitching alphabets and when I looked at how I could adapt the sampler, I decided not to stitch any of the top part at all. I would have liked to stitch the eyelet and the bargello sections but it wouldn't have looked right.
I know that all the sampler enthusiasts, who stitch to match the original design, will be horrified but I have to enjoy what I stitch so I often adapt designs to suit.
It's great to see the progress made by everyone, I'm finding this whole journey very inspiring and I'm sure that I'm not alone in finding lots of lovely new stitching blogs to visit along the way.