Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Monday, 31 December 2012

Post for Ellen C


Well, after my third attempt, I think I'm on a roll with Ann Hair.  You probably are thinking to yourself, three attempts?  Yes, sad, but true. My first time was nearly 10 years ago when it was a SAL with my newsletter group.  This is as far as I got because I decided that I didn't have enough linen on the far right side.  My framer said she could work with that skimpy margin, but it still made me nervous to put in so much work and have things perhaps not work out.






Years later, I decided to try again because I really love this sampler.  Here is as far as I got on my second attempt.  I really don't know why I put Ann away this time--perhaps I just got very busy with my own design business.






Upon hearing about Nicola's Scarlet Letter challenge, I thought perhaps I should try to complete Ann Hair.  It took me  a while to find all my silk threads, and once I did, I realized that I probably didn't have enough of some of the threads so I ordered more of three colors.  When they arrived, I discovered that as I feared the dye lots had changed some over the last 10 years.  I couldn't fudge on that because the colors were all in the border.  It would have been pretty obvious if all of a sudden there was a color shift there.

My new plan was to rip out all of the border, but once I began I knew that would be a long process, and I would rather be stitching than ripping.  My linen was long enough to simply start stitching the sampler on the other end, and that is what I did.  Here is my progress as of this morning.







I hope to stitch a bit more on Ann today, but tomorrow I'll be putting her away for a short period to begin a new project on New Year's Day, the Anne Maria Clarke sampler from The Essamplaire which is one of my newsletters 2013 projects.  I've discovered that I'm not a very good rotation stitcher, so please keep your fingers crossed and encourage me to return to Ann Hair.

Wishing everyone a very happy new year with lots of stitching in 2013!

Ellen

6 comments:

Nicola said...

Third time lucky Ellen.

She is so beautiful you are going to have to finish her so we will all be on hand to give you lots of encouragement.

Elizabeth said...

Here's hoping that you will finish her this time. What beautiful stitching.

Stitch Wizard said...

Ann Hair is really beautiful and I admire your determination to start her after having to restart her. I was thinking reading your post that just starting her again is much better than trying to rip it all out. I hate taking stitches out if there are lots of them. You are better off just restaring with new threads it seems like to me. Your stitching is just beautiful on her and please don't give up.

joann mccormick said...

Ellen... Third times the charm! Will enjoy watching her take shape!

Deb said...

I was going to say the same thing as Joann - Third time is the charm. It looks wonderful and I'm glad that you've started her again.

anniebeez said...

Ellen she is beautiful!