Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Tuesday, 4 December 2012

I have made my choices....


I had a lovely time checking out the gorgeous samplers on The Scarlet Letter website, wrote a long list of choices which you can read on this blog post here, but I finally narrowed it down to three choices which I have ordered - all with silk threads and fabric from The Scarlet Letter.  Here they are:


The Faerie Queene  - this is to feed my Tudor addiction! 

 Description from The Scarlet Letter website:

The verse around which we designed this sampler was written after 1596 by the English poet Edmund Spenser, as an introduction to his Cantos of Mutabilitie, and part of his most famous work The Faery Queene, written for Queen Elizabeth I. In these poems he personifies the powers of change and decay by the character of Mutability, whose pride, omnipotence, and omnipresence govern all mortall things beneath the Moone . . .
Proud change (not pleas'd,
in Mortall things,
beneath the Moone, to raigne)
Pretends, as well of Gods, as Men,
to be the Soveraine.
The lettering style comes from an early 17th century sampler. The figure of the Queen with her sword, ready to chop and change, was inspired by similar figures on 17th century samplers. The arcaded pansy border across the top is an amalgam of styles, spanning 17th century England to early 19th century Pennsylvania. Hungarian Point flamestitch across the bottom creates a dramatic sense of treetops in the light of the moon.

My second choice is a Pincushion Kit (I thought that it would be good to have a small project to work on, too)


The Scarlet Letter description:

Based on an English miniature of c. 1810, this pincushion kit can be personalized for a gift. The large building is probably a variation of Solomon's Temple - a popular architectural motif of the period. Small tokens such as this were often exchanged by schoolgirls.

.... and lastly, the wonderful Susan Singleton:


The Scarlet Letter description:

Designed after a mid-eighteenth century New Hampshire sampler, this piece is delightfully naive with its oversized animals, insects, and birds. Around 1760, the New-Hampshire Gazette began publishing advertisements for girls' schools, placed by female instructresses, emphasizing a curriculum of practical as well as decorative needlework. While this sampler is atypical of most of the recognizable schools of New Hampshire (i.e. the bird and basket designs of Canterbury, the dark green linsey-woolsey grounds on samplers of Dover, and the house and barn samplers of Portsmouth), it is significantly stylized to suggest that it was taught by a particular teacher, who could have been advertising for more pupils at that time. Stitches used in the sampler are cross, back, and satin. Stitched on 35 count linen, it will measure approximately 15" x 22-1/4", and is recommended for intermediate level needleworkers.
So, now I am just watching out for my friendly postman.
lots of stitchy hugs, 

5 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Faerie Queen is gorgeous!! Just perfect for you. And maybe you'll finish it as our new future Queen of England is born!!

I'm still torn over my choices!

Nicola said...

Another new one on me, how could I have missed Faerie Queen!! She is soooo beautiful.

Fantastic choices Kaye, you will have fun stitching the pin cushion with Evalina. I think it is the nicest one I have ever seen, an heirloom piece.

I really enjoyed reading the background information that you included with each sampler. Thank you.

Lelia said...

Oh my - you have selected wonderful projects. That Susan Singleton is my fav of your three - wow!

Deanna Chavez said...

All three of these are soooo beautiful. I somehow missed all of them when I was looking through the website but they're getting added to my list!

Kaisievic said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments - I think that everyone's choices are amazing. The Scarlet Letter collection is a beautiful set of designs.