Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Monday, 17 December 2012

Christmas Sampler

Greetings all,
Here is my first picture of progress on the SL Christmas Sampler.  I am so enjoying this SAL and love reading the postings every day.  I am also enjoying the challenge of stitching a sampler that is not all cross stitch, lately I had been doing mostly small simple projects, mostly because I have no room left on my walls and don't even have everything framed, they just sit in a lonely drawer.
This picture shows my first mistake.  I am trying to decide what to do.  I know Marsha has said to not rip out unless you have to, as it weakens the linen, plus I might accidentally rip a hole, and usually I try to work around things.  See to the left of the L, an extra little four-sided stitch :(  What should I do, rip or leave it???  And should I rip out the whole alphabet line or just the one square??  Also, question for Marsha or anyone who knows, what is that green thing on either side of the big basket??
I am loving seeing everyone's progress, and am in awe of you who have already finished a WIP!  Beautiful!!

Melinda

18 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh my! So pretty! I think the mistake and whether to rip it is up to you. It's not so terrible if you want to leave it. This one is so gorgeous. Sigh.

Gillie said...

Not sure about the green thingy but I would leave the four sided stitch!

Brenda in WI said...

Melinda, if it was on the chart I would leave it. It certainly is a beautiful sampler so far. Maybe the person who did the sampler put that in - so leave it. Brenda

Nicola said...

Dear Melinda

I think that the choice has to be yours. Whilst you notice it others may not.

I have forwarded your question to Marsha but she may be off radar for a few days.

Gabi said...

Your sampler looks fantastic. And I wouldn't rip it if I was you. It looks fine to ke

Scarlet Letter said...

The little stray square really doesn't look out of place, and I'd leave it. After all, this is your sampler so you might as well leave your "secret" mark on it! Challenge others to find the error and I doubt anyone would ever catch it. My theory on the greenie things is that they are akin to artichokes, albeit quite stylized. Lovely work!

Deb said...

I say leave the little square. No one is going to notice it and as was said above, it can be your own little mark. The sampler is just stunning so far.

Lisa M said...

I would leave it in. As long as it won't throw the rest of the sampler off. A quirk which will have people scratching their heads 200 years from now.

Elizabeth said...

It is beautiful. I don't think folk will realise there is a mistake there but you have to live with it.

Elaine said...

I would leave the extra stitches, no one will know they are not meant to be there. I always leave mistakes, I like the quirky look!
If a blind man on the back of a galloping horse can't see it, then it's not a mistake!!

Jennifer Cameron said...

Definitely leave the extra stitch, it is not noticeable and makes the sampler yours.

As for the green thingie - holly leaf ????

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

You are making wonderful progress.

Leave the stitch in - it is fine.

Glenna said...

Leave it! (Unless you're going to think about it every time you look at it). I never rip out unless the mistake is going to cause a ripple effect of things being out of wack, but that small error will not cause things to be out of wack!

Michele said...

Leave, I had trouble even seeing which bit you were referring to!

This is beautiful xxx

Dona said...

Such a pretty sampler! I think is the first time I've seen it stitched. Whatever decision you make it won't change that it's a wonderful design!

Mindi said...

I say leave the little square. I'd never have noticed if it you hadn't pointed it out. No clue what the green things are, maybe beetles? I love the basket of flowers. I'm going to have to go take another look at this sampler.

Kathy said...

Great progress! If you hadn't of said anything I wouldn't have noticed!! I would leave it as it is.

Jane in Wisconsin said...

What a beautiful sampler! I didn't see this on the Scarlet Letter website. Is it an older, out of print pattern? Can't wait to see it finished.