Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Sunday, 30 December 2012

Abigail Gould's Sampler of 1796

I put the last stitches into Abigail Gould while watching my son's college football team (Michigan State University) play in one of the Bowl games last night (they beat TCU by one point!!  Yoo Hoo!!).


Abigail Gould's Sampler of 1796
Mystery 36 count linen
DMC threads

Abigail is much more colorful than I thought that she would be.  I stitched her with DMC threads and a mystery piece of linen that I tried to match closely to what the background should have been.  While I try to stay true to reproductions, I didn't want to fill-in all the background on the piece.  She only measures about 6" x 6" and will be a great addition on my A&E walls.  The design is rather simple, but I think so sweet, although I'm trying to figure out what the motif is between the tree and the gentleman.  Any thoughts?

My next project, and my New Year's Day, start will be Ann Smith.  I can't wait to start stitching on her. The colors are so bright and colorful.




I'll be stitching her with the recommended AVAS threads and 36 count Magnolia fabric.  I had a hard time picking out which sampler to stitch from all the wonderful ones that the Scarlett Letter has.  Needless to say, there are a "few" that I pulled out of the stash pile, kitted up and they are waiting in the wings!!

I wish everyone a safe, happy and healthly New Years!!!

8 comments:

C Street Samplerworks said...

Deb, That was fast! Congratulations on your finish! It looks just fine without the background filled in.

As for the "mystery motif", when I stitched Abigail, it looked to me like an amphora with the lid open. Since the figures are reminiscent of Adam & Eve, maybe the snake is lurking inside ready to slither out to wreak some havoc!:o)

Have fun starting Ann Smith on New Year's Day. (Will you start at the stroke of midnight, or will you wait until later?)

Nicola said...

Well done Deb, these little ones are great additions to our sampler walls. Abigail is very pretty.

Ann is going to be a stunner.

Happy New Year dear friend. I wish the New year brings you lots of happiness and joy. May God shower his abundant blessings upon you all year round.

samplerlover said...

Congratulations on finishing the beautiful Abigail. She will look lovely hanging amongst your other A&E's.

Looking forward to watching your progress on the beautiful Ann Smith. She has always been a favourite of mine and I have done a little bit on the one that I started.

Happy New Year dear friend. - Sandra.

Vera said...

Oh, I love Abigail Gould. I find I am drawn more and more to smaller samplers (which makes me wonder why I am stitching A Parrot, A Leopard and A Lion for my first piece in this challenge - LOL). Ann Smith is going to be lovely.

Mindi said...

Congratulations on your finish! Can't wait for you to start working on Ann Smith and give me some motivation. I was drawn to her bright and vibrant colors as well.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Congratulations!
Your Abigail is lovely.

You are going to love working on Ann Smith. A couple Guild members are working on her and I love to study the sampler when they bring her to a meeting.

Kathy said...

Deb,

Congratulations on your quick and beautiful finish. I love this little sampler more every time I see it. The colors are so bright and cheerful, I think. Can't wait to see your start on Ann.

Inguna said...

Abigail is cute! Congratulations!
And Ann Smith is just gorgeous! I am looking forward to see your progress!