Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Friday, 21 December 2012

Abigail Gould Progress

I thought that I would post a progress picture of Abigail Gould before the holidays.  I started her on Monday and am about at the half way point of her minus some of the tree.  She is just the little stitch that I needed after finishing off a larger project.  The linen I'm using is a little more beige than my picture shows and the flowers in the border aren't quite as orange looking as they are here.


I came across a picture of the original today on Pinterest and thought that I would share that here:


I think that if I had seen a picture of the original, I may have changed out the border bud colors to be more in keeping with the original, but since I have over half of them done and like the bit of color it adds to the sampler,  I'll leave them as I have them stitched.  I'm hoping to be finished with dear Abigail by the end of next week (probably an ambitious thought with Christmas next week also).  I've already picked out my next SL project - Ann Smith - and can't wait to get started on her.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful Christmas and holiday season.

12 comments:

Elaine said...

very pretty, I love the colours of this one.

Elizabeth said...

Deb, I love your choice of colours and I am sure you will be pleased with the end result.

Nicola said...

Deb

As always your stitching is perfect. I too needed a quickish sampler after a run of large ones. Abigail is so pretty, it is a joy to see her come alive.

Have a wonderful Christmas

Nicola xxx

Margaret said...

Cool! I love seeing the original Abigail!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That must be the dilemma when charting a reproduction - do you go with the original brighter colours or the faded look they have now?

I think your's looks great with the bright flowers.

Scarlet Letter said...

Marsha here...the colors were reproduced from the back of the sampler, where they were not faded as they appear on the front. It's hard to tread a balance between those who prefer the aged, faded look, and the original color. Vegetable-dyed fibers always fade over time.

EvalinaMaria said...

The original is over 200 years old, the colors faded a lot. I like your version - it's alive again!

Kathy said...

Deb,

I love this sampler and you have made great progress during the week and it's looking so pretty.

I enjoyed seeing the original so thanks for sharing that.

After your first post of Abigail I had to order the chart so this just may be my second one to do.

Can't wait to see more of your progress or finish.

samplerlover said...

Oh Deb, Abigail is lovely and you have done so much since finishing your Charlotte.

Abigail will look wonderful with all of your other A&E's.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Abigail Gould is a wonderful sampler.

When reproducing a sampler, whenever possible, I also choose the colors from the back of the sampler. I want my version to be as close to the original as I can.

Barbara

Deb said...

I never thought about using the colors from the back of the sampler! I'm glad that I posted my comment so that I could read the return comments. I think she's a wonderful sampler and the brighter buds really adds a lot to her.

Lanie said...

Never thought to look on Pinterst for photos of samplers...what can't you find there?!!! Abigail is such a delightful sampler. Thank you for sharing your progress as well as the original.