Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Tuesday, 11 December 2012

A Start on the English Transitional Sampler C1711

After much debate and to-ing and fro-ing between my short list I narrowed it down to three main contenders; Ann Johnson, Judeth Payne and the English Transitional Sampler.  I thought about the size, the style and how each would look in my house.  I was leaning towards Ann but realised I didn't know what all the verses said and I don't want anything too morbid or gloomy!!

So the English Transitional won out.  During one of our now regular chats I mentioned it to Nicola who said she had it all kitted up with 35count linen and silks, and as a Thank You for helping set up the blog she'd send it to me.  This is an extremely generous thing to do and it meant I could start almost immediately!

The parcel arrived the next day and after a quick iron of the fabric I made a start yesterday evening.  Here's my progress so far:


I always start in the middle of a project and this is no exception.  There will be three of these motifs next to each other filled in with a variety of cross stitch, satin stitch and stem stitch.   The instructions recommend doing all the outlines first then the filling in from the top downwards.  This makes sense as you get your placement and spacing right plus there's less risk of catching the loops in the satin stitch later on.

Here's the picture from the Scarlet Letter website so you can see the finished item (for those of us who haven't quite memorised the entire range yet!!

Transitional

Finally, I have a few emails in my inbox to answer.  December is a very busy month, I'm doing some extra shifts at work, I have two children and do voluntary work too so maybe I won't answer them as quickly as usual.  But rest assured I will get back to you, especially if you've asked for blogging help.

ps if anyone knows what Ann Johnson's verses say, please let me know!  I really like the one about where she lives and the fact that you get a reproduction map of the area with the chart.  Nice touch. 

7 comments:

Glenna said...

LOL about no gloomy verses; I have a nice bright house full of gloomy samplers!

Nicola said...

Glad you are enjoying the kit.

When you think about it alot of samplers have "gloomy" verses.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I know what you mean about gloomy verses. I've often changed the words on a design as the words are too depressing:-) I love the colour mix on this sampler.

Laurie in Iowa said...

Our Nicola is very generous towards her stitching pin pals. You're off to a great start and I'm going to enjoy following your progress.

brod'attitude said...

Nice project

samplerlover said...

Oh this ones lovely.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

oh you have picked a stunner - love it!