Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Wednesday, 12 December 2012

A Post on Behalf of Marsha, The Scarlet Letter - A Sneak Preview



As promised, here is a sneak preview of a new design. 





While I have five reproductions in the works, this is an original design that I've been working on since June. The verse came from an early 19th century English sampler, the border and heraldic design at the top from other sources (Sibmacher, Italian woven textiles, among other classical sources). It has traveled with me from Italy to the southern Yucatan and back to Wisconsin. It won't be finished soon, so I'd love some feedback.  






The floral border might be filled in with creamy pink-to-dark rose colors.  I never decide the final palette until I put the colors on the linen and examine them in daylight.  The background of the border will be filled in solidly with some color or other, probably creme AVAS.   


My original designs tend to be very intricate and time consuming because that is what I find appealing.  They're not always popular but please indulge the designer!  


Every kit is made up custom, so if you want it without all the background floss (this refers to Gabi's request for Parrot Leopard Lion without background floss) I can adjust the price and make it to your specs, within reason. 



You are all helping me to keep warm this winter.  I am so grateful.

17 comments:

Nicola said...

From the sneak peak it looks magnificent.

That is very interesting about customizing the kit. I always like a larger margin of fabric to work with. Next time I kit up I will contact you.

anniebeez said...

I love it and cant wait to see the colors in the border!

Elaine said...

It looks wonderful, I love the swans! We have some that visit regularly at the bottom of our garden, I really want to stitch a sampler with some on.

Margaret said...

It looks gorgeous! I to am looking forward to seeing the colors in the border. I love that you are so open to customizing kit orders too. Something to remember! Your original designs are always so beautiful!

brod'attitude said...

Very nice

Laurie in Iowa said...

The border is gorgeous and I can't wait to see your color palette. Thank you for being so accommodating in customizing your kits.

Jennifer H said...

Marsha,

I forgot that you could customize the kits - what a wonderful thought! :) And the new pattern looks lovely - dare I ask what the name will be? I can see that this one will have to go on my wish list.

I do see daffodils on the side there of the pattern - is that right? Are the other flowers pansies or carnations? I am not sure what they are. I could see doing them in dark purples and deep raspberry colors, but then any colors you pick I am sure will be just lovely. You do have wonderful tastes as we can all attest to. :D

Hugs and Love,
Jennifer H

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

It's looking great. It actually looks quite good with just the outlines!

I often miss out background stitching and change the fabric colour instead. To me having a choice of fabric is a good option when you buy a kit.

HollyXSing said...

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha! I love it! I can't wait to see more!

I hope your holidays are filled with love and merriment!

-Holly in VA

Siobhán said...

Marsha, the sneak peek looks lovely! I like stitching a background and then filling in. It can be tedious but it's fun once I hit my rhythm. I can't wait to see more!

Kathy said...

WOW, what a tease!!! From what I see this looks to be a gorgeous sampler. Can't wait to see it finish!!! And, to learn that you will customize the kits.

Dona said...

Marsha, it's stunning! I look forward to seeing it evolve. I love the border.

Good to know about customizing kits!

Robin Lund said...

Marsha! It is lovely! I can't wait to see the colors in the border. I'm also looking forward to reading the verse!

Deanna Chavez said...

Borders are usually the thing I enjoy stitching least but these are so beautiful -- both the flowers and the geometric design -- that I'd change my mind. This is going to be irresistible and I can't wait to see it finished!

Vera said...

So beautiful! And another temptation LOL

Lisa M said...

It is beautiful.

Carol E. in AZ said...

It looks beautiful! I can't wait to see more "sneak peeks". And I never knew you would customize the kit....I am so happy to know that!