Header Photo

Header Photo
American Quaker Sampler stitched by Krista

Translate

Thursday, 6 December 2012

A Post on behalf of Marsha of The Scarlet Letter



Hello "Pin Pals",



I love that term coined I presume by Nicola.  I hope to participate in the forum on a regular basis, share sneak previews of new designs coming up in 2013, answer your questions, and share in the fun.


Regarding the question from woolwoman (would love to know the story behind that name, by the way), it has several answers.  At the time I reproduced the sampler, in the late 1980's, it was one of the most formidable samplers I had ever attempted; not, as you note, because of the difficulty of the stitches, but trying to convey the color changes in the bargello areas without benefit of a computer design program.  Printing the graph in full color would have been prohibitively expensive at the time, so the hand-printed graph is full of notations which, in my mind, made it complicated to follow.  Technically the stitches used are not at all difficult, all counted thread, it's just that there are so many of them, and so close together.  Using current graphing technology it would be simpler to make a comprehensible chart and I'd rate it perhaps intermediate level, and then only because of the size of the design and the laborious amount of stitch counting.


The photo attached was taken in Orvieto, Italy, two months ago- one of the finest depictions of Adam and Eve I've ever seen.  I plan to use it as an inspiration for a future design.



Adam & Eve Orvieto, Italy


As the old English carol goes "Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat..."  but here at Smoke Ham Farm the turkeys are getting fat, and fatter, because they're pets and have been perpetually pardoned.

Cheers to all,

Marsha

15 comments:

Nicola said...

On behalf of us all Marsha, a very warm welcome to what really is an appreciation society of you and The Scarlet Letter.

So excited to be seeing a sneak preview of your latest sampler.

Margaret said...

Marsha, thank you so much for being a part of our SAL! Nicola is so right -- this is definitely an appreciation society. Scarlet Letter is the best!

Deb said...

As Margaret and Nicola said, this is definitely an appreciation society. Even though I have not done many of your designs, I have collected very many with the hopes of doing all of them. Your selection of charts to chose from is just overwhelming!! I'm so happy that you will be participating in the forum!!

Vera said...

Hello Marsha and Welcome! And, I will echo the other comments -- definitely an appreciation society. Thank you so much for all the samplers you offer to us. Looking forward to news from Smoke Ham Farm and the sneak previews you mentioned (like I really need anything else to tempt me...)!!

Krista said...

Hi Marsha, How wonderful to see your post. I am new to your beautiful samplers and look forward to seeing them stitched this coming year. The more I see, the more I want to do too! What a wonderful 'sneak peek' at your Adam & Eve inspiration, looking forward to more.

samplerlover said...

Hi Marsha, oh this is wonderful to see a post from you. I also have loved your samplers for many years and have done quite a few of them. Actually most of my repros are yours.
Oh I love your inspiration. Italy has so many wonderful things on buildings that are very inspiring. Your explaination about Ruth Bachelor totally makes sense.

Deanna Chavez said...

Hi Marsha, it is so exciting to have posts from you and to get updates on your new designs. I really look forward to working on one of your beautiful pieces this year.

woolwoman said...

Wow imagine my surprise that my question about Ruth be answered by the queen (Queen Scarlet Letter) herself. I appreciate your taking your time to do that.
We will all enjoy your participation in this group of adoring SL fans.
The story of the Woolwoman name hummm years and years ago when I first started my Wooley Thoughts blog I was somewhat frightened of divulging much info about myself on the big bad Internet. Remember all those years ago there was no Facebook etc. Since I am an avid rug hooker and knitter and lover of wool I just called myself Woolwoman . That's it Marsha nothing too glamorous or mysterious. Thanks again for all the background on Ruth . Melody

Elizabeth said...

Marsha, it is lovely to hear from you. I am completing new to the world of needlework and so SL is my first introduction to samplers and I am sure I may stitch quite a few in the coming years!

Michele said...

Marsha, it is lovely that you are joining us. I have followed Scarlet Letter for years but only now am I really getting into some serious stitching.

Elaine said...

Welcome Marsha! Thank you so much for making the time to join us on this fabulous blog. I have been a SL chart collector for years - thought it was about time I actually stitched one of them! I am currently stitching the SDW sampler in a SAL with 5 other stitchers.

Elaine said...

Welcome Marsha! Thank you so much for making the time to join us on this fabulous blog. I have been a SL chart collector for years - thought it was about time I actually stitched one of them! I am currently stitching the SDW sampler in a SAL with 5 other stitchers.

Chris said...

So glad that you are participating with us Marsha!!

Love to Stitch said...

Hello Marsha! What a great surprise to see your post on this fantastic blog :) We are all thankful for the hard work you do producing these patterns for us to enjoy stitching!! We all look forward to sharing our progress through-out the year and then some :)

Scarlet Letter said...

You're all so sweet and kind. You inspire me. At present there are four antique samplers in the queue here to be charted: an amazing Spanish sampler with many of the spectacular characteristic counted satin stitch motifs and an interior four-sided border of alphabets, a late 18th century English sampler featuring four verses on the four seasons, a Scottish sampler- basically a rag but the amazing design is still discernible, and Mary Wilson 1711, which is on my website. I am finishing up the chart tonight, then the stitching begins. Did I do this right, Nicola? I am computer challenged. Cheers to everyone.