Translate

Sunday, 9 December 2012

A Post on behalf of Barbara Hutson of Queenstown Sampler Designs

I would love to join your Scarlet Letter SAL.  Annie Beez is absolutely right that your  Scarlet Letter SAL is a global  sampler guild.  I travel over 100 miles (one way) to go my Loudoun Sampler Guild in Leesburg, Virginia each month.


I so enjoy being surrounded by other sampler enthusiasts.   It will be a delight to see and read about other people’s Scarlet Letter samplers.


Samplers took over my needlework life in 1983.  I have been collecting sampler charts ever since then.


I have finished over a dozen Scarlet Letter samplers and have  well over 100 more charts in my collection.


I have attached a few photos of my band sampler wall.  They are not all Scarlet Letter.



Left to right: Scarlet Letter-  Elizabeth Short 1661,  Essamplaire – Jane Turner 1668, Examplary – Lora Standish  1635c (oldest known American sampler),
Scarlet Letter - Boscobel Oak 1660c, Scarlet Letter -Joanna Warren 1655.




Scarlet Letter - Boscobel Oak 1660c- bottom section


I always have a few SL charts kitted-up  and ready to start stitching.   Marsha thinks I am a little “nuts” to be stitching her samplers when I have so much else to do for my own business.  I find it very cathartic to work on someone else’s designs on a Sunday afternoon.

I have some very large sampler designs that I am currently charting, stitching, and researching for future  Sampler & Antique Needlework Quarterly publications. Sundays will be the only time I have to work on  my Scarlet Letter SAL.  I plan on starting EK 1653 today. 



 EK 1653


I have not started a blog yet.  I do have a  web site for my QSD designs that my husband  maintains. 

I do have a facebook page  that I put some family & sampler news on.   I welcome anyone that loves samplers.

Kindest regards,

Barbara

Barbara L. Hutson

14 comments:

Nicola said...

A very warm welcome Barbara, I have been a HUGE fan of your work and am very excited to see glimpses of your impressive portfolio.

I am looking forward to stitching with you.

Love to Stitch said...

Sooo wonderful to see you joining this SAL Barbara:). You yourself are an inspiration to others and it will be great to stitch along side if you and all the very talented ladies that have joined also. Looking forward to you start!

Krista said...

Welcome, Barbara! It is so nice to see you joining the group here with us. I have seen many of your wonderful posts on fb Sampler World. What an impressive collection of samplers you have gracing your walls! They are all so beautiful. That first one, Elizabeth Short, struck me so, will need to add it to my list of favorites! Even after all of these posts from our participants, I am still finding new patterns I have not seen. I look forward to watching your progress on EK.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's so lovely to see such a mix of people from all over the world joining together in this way.

Kathy said...

Barbara,

Just gotta say you have a very beautiful and impressive wall of samplers.

Welcome!

Kathy

Elaine said...

What a fantastic idea - a sampler wall - maybe I need to finish one first!

Chris said...

So glad that you have joined in Barbara!

Angie Burrett said...

Hello Barbara: gosh you are so talented! There are never enough hours in the day to sew all that we want to sew are there! I know Leesburg well, I had a wonderful friend who lived in Purcellville (she is now in Maui, complete contrast!) - she ran Twigs the lovely country store - it is such a lovely area.
I shall go and try and find you on Facebook too!
This SL challenge is going to be such fun!

Gillie said...

I would drive 100 miles to the Loudon Guild! I was a member during the time we lived in Virginia 1998 - -2001 and enjoyed every minute of my time there, with such a wonderful group of stitchers. I too am looking forward to the SAL.

Donna said...

I'm fairly certain if I went to my room to look, I have more of Barbara's charts than any other sampler designer. Of course I haven't finished any of them, but that's another story. LOL

My needle and thread said...

I am totally impressed, I have a sampler wall also but no Scarlet Letters!! Yours are beauties!

Jennifer H said...

Barbara,

I love your sampler wall! I can't believe you have found the time to stitch in twixt and tween all the designing you do!

Just lovely finishes - you're making me wish I had a magic wand to get it all done already! :)

Hugs and Love,
Jennifer H

PS I do have a couple of your designs too - there are times I think I am more of a collector then a stitcher, but I do stitch, just verrrrrry sloooooowly. :P

woolwoman said...

Beautiful stitching barbara so wonderful to see you joined the group. Good luck with Queenstown in 2013
Cheers melody

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Thank you all for your kind remarks.
I am so happy to be part of this marvelous group of needle workers.
I had a good Day One stitching yesterday. Will send Nicola a image soon. I am also keeping a journal.